VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some bastard left 2 scratches on my driver door!
They do not appear to be very deep, but I can feel a very slight indentationwith my fingertips and they are slightly white. It looks like it went through the clearcoat. They are about 4 inches long and very thin. Any advice on how to get rid of them? Do any of the miracle scratch removers work?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Re: Help with a scratch (paulg2)

quote:[HR][/HR]? Do any of the miracle scratch removers work? [HR][/HR]​
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES use those miracle scratch remover, you mind as well use sandpaper. Sorry to hear about the scratches.. Chances are if they are deep enough to feel, then its through the clear coat. You could try some touch up paint, but if they are not that bad, I would leave them alone. Sometimes the fix might look worse than the scratches.. Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Help with a scratch (ytqm)

Get some medium grit polishing compound, and work the scratch LENGTHWISE along the scratch. Don't go more than 1/4" on each side of the scratch, and use light rubbing motion. With luck you can smooth it out without removing the clearcoat. Once it's smoothed out, wax it with a quality brand and polish it off.
You might be surprised with what kinds of scratches you can get out with a little bit of compound and wax.
If the scratch penetrates the clearcoat, you may want to spend $50-$100 and have a professional take care of it for you. Most will fill the scratch (carefully) with appropriate touch-up paint, then seal the paint with clearcoat, compound it, then wax it over.
Greg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Help with a scratch (hammong)

If you can't remove it very well with a quality cleaner wax, try a fine cut cleaner using an orbital buffer. Then use a polishing compound then a carnuba wax.
I've had good sucess with some air brush repairmen.
But they are only as good as their paint mix and talent.
Sometimes its best to live with the scratch than remove to much cleacoat to just remedy the problem or go as far as repainting.
FYI-Meguires products are pretty much fool proof if you read the directions on the bottles. Sorry about the scartch, I got my first door ding the other day by a SUV!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.