VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just graduated college and have a job, so I'm in the market for a new (to me) car. I went to the local BMW dealership and they had a 2000 528i manual red w/black leather interior in pristine condition. According to the dealer the previous owner is a BMW nut and takes really good care of his cars. 50k miles. It has the M5 wheels, but no cd and no warranty. Drove it, liked it, and want to buy it. problem is I don't think the dealer is giving me a very good deal. he's asking 28k, which is about 3k more than what kelly blue book has it listed for. He pretty much volunteered to take a grand off the price, and I can probably haggle another grand off for a price of 26k. is 26k for a 2000 528i worth it? Should I be able to get a better price, or should I just walk? I've never bought a car before, so I'm new to this whole thing. I'm in zip code 22903 if that makes a difference.
One other question that's sort of on the topic. I've been looking around for a manual tranny 540i, but have yet to come across one. Do these things even exist? My friend was 5 series shopping last year and he told me he couldn't find a 540 with a manual tranny either.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Re: help with buying a 2000 528i (Phat Ham)

the 540i did indeed come in a manual, if you're not finding one.. you're not looking hard enough
I would go for the 540, if i were you, if you have the money don't leave room for second thoughts, like a month after you get the 528 and you get your ass HANDED to you by a 540 on the highway... or try to sell it 5 years from now and it's not worth too much, because everyone's looking for the 540... i just can't see why, when shopping new or used, you or anyone else would wanna spend money every month on second best, not bashing you or anyone else, a 528i is a fine car, but i don't think i'll get too many arguments when i say the 528 is indeed underpowered, ESPECIALLY when comparing to the 540.. i just try to shoot for the top all the time.. neither of my cars are new, but both are the best/top of the line model of their day, and i'm happy at least having that small piece of mind that i didn't short change myself on the options
oh, and, probably nowhere near you.. but to proove they do exist: (and both are cheaper than the above mentioned 528
)
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...t=150
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...t=166
p.s.- when on autotrader, click the 'advanced search' button and change the tranny specs to manual..

Modified by SuperchargedLSS at 11:43 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: help with buying a 2000 528i (Phat Ham)

Quote, originally posted by Phat Ham »
I just graduated college and have a job, so I'm in the market for a new (to me) car. I went to the local BMW dealership and they had a 2000 528i manual red w/black leather interior in pristine condition. According to the dealer the previous owner is a BMW nut and takes really good care of his cars. 50k miles. It has the M5 wheels, but no cd and no warranty.

If it is at a BMW dealer, did you ask why it is not "certified pre-owned"? And are the full maintenance records available? Also they should be willing to run the VIN to give you the warranty and recall history (which should include any free maintenance that was included with the car).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts