VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1992 Golf last night on the assumption that it would pass CA Emission testing. I am currently in an Enhanced Area and the car failed the test miserably.
The HC readings were slightly over the limit at both speeds, but the NO readings were over 2.5 times the limit at both speeds. I guess the car is now a Gross Polluter in CA.
Does anyone know what would cause these kind of readings?? Is it as simple as an Oxygen sensor??

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Re: Help with CA emission test failure (MAtkisson)

i think the NOs are up when you're running lean, but not sure on that. can't help you much, maybe take it to a local shop that does inspection stuff and let them take a look.

·
Banned
2,329 Posts

high nox could be running to hot or a bad cat...
i had high nox on my 92 jetta and it was a bad catalytic converter..

i suggest taking it to a shop rather then guessing if it failed that bad it obviously isnt running right.
best to FIX it then just get a cheapo pass etc
p.s my nox readngs were like 1800 without the bad cat with good one it was like 80 lol...
so yea
get it al checked out and dont guess on parts its best to isolate the prob do good tune up i would say new plugs, coolant temp sensor 92+ octane and give her a good run. also its prolly a bad cat to be those high nox readings

[Modified by Tbird Pimpistik, 11:11 PM 8-7-2002]

[Modified by Tbird Pimpistik, 11:12 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

if you've got high HC and skyhigh NOx, it's nothing simple. High HC means you're either running too rich or you're not getting enough spark in all cylinders or you're losing compression. NOx means the combustion is happening too hot and causing additional reactions with the air, usually either too lean a mix or too much spark. If the car were close to running right you wouldn't get both wrong like that.
Have you run a compression test yet? Gross polluter levels like that you're not going to be able to tune out, so you might as well do it right. be thorough in the testing so you know what you're getting into before you start the actual work, or risk nasty surprises and additional costs later.
A new cat might get you passing temporarily, but whatever else is wrong will kill that cat pretty fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.