VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure I will get varying responses but hoping to get first hand help from the few who may have the setup.

I currently have Schrick 272/272 cams with Evoms intake and stock flapper modded exhaust (GIAC software not that it matters for now)

First- I will offer my opinion since I have the cams and it may help someone down the line who may be considering them (Keep in mind, this is only my opinion, based subjectively on my personal observations only, I do not have dyno results or any other method to objectively back up any of my statements)

While I have heard that these cams lose a bit in the lower/mid range (trade off for the high end gains), I personally haven't noticed any significant loss from stock that would make a real difference in everyday driving where you would spend a majority of the time in the lower power band. On the other hand, the cams seriously come alive at the higher end (6k RPM and up) and absolutely scream. I mean these cams pull HARD as far up the tach as you are willing to take them :D

That said, While I do like how the cams really come alive up high in the RPM range, the noticeable difference in power delivery is not practical since it's not where I typically would be driving around at on a regular basis obviously. Again, no noticeable loss from stock in the lower/mid range, but for me, a good compromise would be something in the middle.

The other part of my opinion is also subjective, but this time has more to do with aesthetics, mainly the sound. I really feel that the 272's flatten out the R gurgle/growl/rookie whatever you want to call it. they almost give it a smoother, more refined tone, and while that may appeal to some, a big part of what makes the R32 to me is that sound aspect. I'm not saying the 272's sound bad by any means, like I said, the rumble is still there but not as "raw" if you will. Now as far as the 6K RPM+ pulls, it absolutely screams, and sounds amazing.

Now here is my dilema. I picked up a set of TT 264/260 cams that I planned to put in, mainly for the 2 reasons I mentioned- more noticeable power in the everyday usable RPM range, and regain the rawness of the R rumble with the split duration cams.
That was the plan until I decided to pick up a VF stage 2 kit. The question now is

1. does FI change things in that I may actually benefit from keeping the 272's and improve my low end/mid range power where the differences between 272 or 264/260 cams become insignificant. ( ie: does FI even out the playing field as far as power numbers produced by either cam)

2. I've heard that FI will help regain some of the rawness of the R exhaust note with the 272's? In that case I wouldn't have to put in the TT cams, but if anyone can confirm that power is about the same but sound is different, i will put in the TT's

Soon to be s/c'd

·
Registered
25,717 Posts
Hi,

I am the reason the 272/272 exist. I bugged Schrick to have them made, bought the first set, and dyno tested them.

On a normal all motor car without any unusual modifications, they basically make the same power as the 268/264. No loss, no gain. There may be a benefit on a turbo car.

They 100% make the car sound flat and monotone. I hated the change on sound SOO much that I removed the 272/272 and bought another set of new 268/264 to replace them with. (having just sold my first set of 268/264 when I installed the 272/272 :banghead:)

Funny thing is, I removed the 268/264 in just a few hundred miles of use and then installed my current 280/272 that I am running now.

My thoughts-

I have not dynoed the 280/272, but from the butt dyno I don't notice a loss. They sound GREAT.

The TT 264/260 cams 100% fact make less power than the ANY of the bigger cams. Not a huge amount, but less is less.

If I were you, I would sell the TT cams, buy a Schrick 280 intake to go with your 272 exhaust.

Whatever you do- get rid of the crap GIAC flash ASAP. You will be amazed at the difference a better tune will make.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Hi,

I am the reason the 272/272 exist. I bugged Schrick to have them made, bought the first set, and dyno tested them.

On a normal all motor car without any unusual modifications, they basically make the same power as the 268/264. No loss, no gain. There may be a benefit on a turbo car.

They 100% make the car sound flat and monotone. I hated the change on sound SOO much that I removed the 272/272 and bought another set of new 268/264 to replace them with. (having just sold my first set of 268/264 when I installed the 272/272 :banghead:)

Funny thing is, I removed the 268/264 in just a few hundred miles of use and then installed my current 280/272 that I am running now.

My thoughts-

I have not dynoed the 280/272, but from the butt dyno I don't notice a loss. They sound GREAT.

The TT 264/260 cams 100% fact make less power than the ANY of the bigger cams. Not a huge amount, but less is less.

If I were you, I would sell the TT cams, buy a Schrick 280 intake to go with your 272 exhaust.

Whatever you do- get rid of the crap GIAC flash ASAP. You will be amazed at the difference a better tune will make.
What do you think about the 268/272 although I have a s/c. it's seems to be a very small number of cams running around in folks cars. meaning not a lot of people have them installed and running and testing

Sent from #android baby

·
Registered
25,717 Posts
What do you think about the 268/272 although I have a s/c. it's seems to be a very small number of cams running around in folks cars. meaning not a lot of people have them installed and running and testing

No idea on reversed duration cams. My initial thought is the factory made the intake bigger than the exhaust for a reason... but what reason, I don't know. Might have just been for emissions bs.

TONS of people have cams. most either don't dyno, or don't bother to share the results.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

My thoughts-

Thank you for the feedback!

You wouldn't happen to be selling a set of 268/264's by any chance? :laugh: ...I think I might have TT 264/260's and Schrick 272/272's for sale soon..

I had plans to ditch GIAC for the UM N/A tune but will now be going with the UM FI 630cc injector software after the recent charger purchase..

·
Registered
25,717 Posts
It has been soo long since my car was stock (spring '06) that I don't remember.. but they don't have a rough idle at all. Pretty much the same as any other cams.. maybe a VERY slight increase in 'roughness' but I also have a bad O2 sensor that I need to get around to replacing. I also have DLI engine mounts and a VF dogbone.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Where are you guys purchasing the Schrick cams? I think when I get the chance
I will go with the 268/264

Also PowerDubs, hadn't heard about your 280/272 setup, are you saying you noticed
no power loss in the low & midrange?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.