VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on sprucing up my interior and a couple things need to be painted blue. After a little bit of searching I found SEM makes a special paint for vinyl surfaces.
From all the threads I read the closest match is midnight blue. I ordered this but got a call saying midnight blue has been discontinued by SEM at some point in 2009. Called up a few other online parts places that carried SEM products and got the same response.
A friend has some left over SEM shadow blue I tried, but it was too light of a blue. Anyone know a good match to GTI blue?

·
Banned
23,466 Posts
Re: Help with correct paint color of GTI blue Interior (VIP VR6 Rabbit)

Im curious.. if some parts or panels are faded.. why not buy CLEAN used ones in the classifieds..wouldnt that be easier?
and what do you plan on painting.
CLEAN gti.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Re: Help with correct paint color of GTI blue Interior (VIP VR6 Rabbit)

While I've never done it, many on here have said that any competent auto paint place can mix up a dye to match your interior. You just have to bring in a piece of your interior that you want to match & they'll run a computer analysis on it to come up with the right color, then mix you up a batch (for an arm & a leg I'm sure).

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Help with correct paint color of GTI blue Interior (A2jettafreak)

Quote, originally posted by A2jettafreak »
Im curious.. if some parts or panels are faded.. why not buy CLEAN used ones in the classifieds..wouldnt that be easier?
and what do you plan on painting.
CLEAN gti.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Parts are sometimes hard to come by, especially in the correct color. I posted a WTB in the classifieds for a blue ash tray a month back. I had a few responses and bought one from who said he had a blue one for $25 shipped. Turns out the ash tray I got wasn't blue, it was black. I don't know if this guy was color blind or what.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4695134
I need to paint a few things in my interior besides the ash tray. My seat belt receivers are the wrong color, shift console is a off blue from the rest of the dash, window cranks are black. Just trying to make my interior factory looking. Waiting to put these seats in:

I've also thought about going to my local paint shop to color match. I was just hoping for the easy route via spray can. Might take a bit more effort trying to get that sort of paint to stick.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
locate cary, aka rockhead on this forum.. i think he experimented with a few different SEM sprays and ended up using two blues to get a matching blue!

·
Registered
I have a thing for Mazdas
7,237 Posts
Re: (-teknien-)

A couple people have reported using SEM midnight blue "misted" lightly over a black base coat to replicate the GTI blue...although I guess that doesn't help if the SEM color is NLA.
echassin used blue Krylon Fusion as a base coat, then misted over it with black, with good results:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4349374

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (retro_rocket)

Quote, originally posted by retro_rocket »

echassin used blue Krylon Fusion as a base coat, then misted over it with black, with good results:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4349374

Yeah I've read that thread and tried the black misted over some blue. Tested a bunch of combinations on some cardboard last weekend, there's no way misting black over blue will turn out looking good.
I have found some other spray paints online with the name midnight blue, not for vinyl though. I could imagine every company's shade of midnight blue is different the next. I might try to order some, could be a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Re: (VIP VR6 Rabbit)

I've done the Midnight blue over black and have gotten some good results. SEM or any other paint shop can mix you custom dye/paint.
SEM is laquer based, so it is technically paint. I use a lot of it; if you search some of my stereo posts, you see my results.
-Todd

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (ToddA1)

Just a little update...
I went down to my local paint shop and they actually had some SEM Midnight blue left in stock, at a different location though. After they run out they won't be able to get anymore, I should have bought what they had left in stock.
I actually brought in a spare junk piece of GTI interior so they could color match it and mix up dome dye/paint. Turns out that would have been a minimum of $50 to match and mix a small amount.
Thanks for all the suggestions. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I think I will be painting down some black first, then the midnight blue. Whenever I get around to doing this I'll post updates on my Build thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4725702

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts

Quote, originally posted by -teknien- »
locate cary, aka rockhead on this forum.. i think he experimented with a few different SEM sprays and ended up using two blues to get a matching blue!

I'm here.
I experimented with a few things but was never really happy with the results. I mean, they looked OK at a glance, but all I did was stare at them and look for mismatching. Yeah, I know.

I found a local guy who does interior and paintless dent repairs. I told him what I was looking for and he undetstood; after all, he's a car guy with a '68 442 at home. He took my pieces with him, sent out a color sample, and hot-dyed them. I paid for this process, mind you, but the results are like have new parts. I mean, they are friggin' perfect.
The real kicker is I gave him a NOS black accordion shift boot to dye. It came out looking, well... new blue. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Two rear cards, both dash lowers (w/ glove box door), shift boot, and center console ran me ~$250. I figure new pieces (if available) would have cost alot more, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
Re: (Rockhead261)

Quote, originally posted by Rockhead261 »

I'm here.
Two rear cards, both dash lowers (w/ glove box door), shift boot, and center console ran me ~$250. I figure new pieces (if available) would have cost alot more, so I'm happy.

hows things?
good to know, i think that is a very fair price for what you got in return! any pics?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That's a bit expensive, but I guess you can't beat a factory looking finish. I would also like to see some pics of the parts that were hot-dyed, especially that shift boot. My boot is worn and faded, not ripped yet. I was going to attempt to paint it with the SEM, just afraid it the paint won't stick well, because it's more of a rubbery type material.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Re: (VIP VR6 Rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by VIP VR6 Rabbit »
I would also like to see some pics of the parts that were hot-dyed, especially that shift boot.

The pasty appearance of the new pieces is due to (I'm told) the UV inhibitor reacting to the flash on my camera. In regular light there is no difference between the dyed pieces and the stock ones. Maybe teknein can shed some "light" on this dilemma?
In my zeal to get the parts back in I neglected to take pics of the lowers and rear cards, but no sane person really looks at them anyway!

Modified by Rockhead261 at 7:36 AM 2-9-2010

·
Registered
14,868 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rockhead261 »

but no sane person really looks at them anyway!

]

No sane people take 80's econo cars and fix them up with blood sweat and tears.
We'll all look.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts

From here they look decent, but a bit too blue.
I'm sitting here with a NOS blue accordion boot and in dim light, it almost looks black. On many occasions, I needed to compare blue parts to black to make sure what color I had in my hands. I sent an upholstery shop a vinyl sample and they told me they'd never come across such a dark blue.
If you shut the flash off, it may correct the color more.
-Todd

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
like cary said its due to the UV inhibitor, added to the dye, which is reacting to the flash. also flashes on point n shoot camera run very "hot".
ive told cary that i would shoot his car. he took care of me, so i owe him a favor. plus i want to shoot a nice stock GTI.
after the snow breaks and the car comes out of storage? what do you say?

·
Registered
7,482 Posts

If you've seen the parts first hand and are telling me they look correct, I guess they look correct.
I'm comparing the dyed parts to the blue vinyl on the seat in the background. Although the seat vinyl should be darker, I don't think the console and boot should be that blue.
Quote, originally posted by ToddA1 »
Using the bedliner black as a base coat, and 2 very light coats of Sem "Midnight Blue" give me an incredibly close color match. The original a-pillar is to the left and p/s is to the right.

Those pics aren't in the best lighting, but there are a couple pics in this thread that are. Also take note that I use the word "close".... it's not a perfect match.
-Todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.