VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am not able to adjust my headlights vertically, is it common for the screw or whatever they use to go bad to make this adjustment? i have no trouble adjusting them laterally i just need my passenger side headlight to be aimed downward more. please help if there is a way to get around broken adjustments!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: HELP WITH HEADLIGHTS!! (tommytom61)

Unfortunately these are decade old cars and lights... Yes the cog gear will break or loose several of its teeth if not carefull, if this is your issue you can turn the gear with your fingers.
It will be best if you take the headlight loose, adjust the gear (middle on back) and then set it in its place and check. This is a tedious process, but effective.

BTW: It is possible that the gear shaft itself has striped out the gear and therefore will not move up or down, but you can still force it to move and then use locktight on the shaft so that it will not slide in.

Modified by TexasCorradoG60 at 1:49 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Re: HELP WITH HEADLIGHTS!! (TexasCorradoG60)

I also had this problem. I took out the headlight assembly, and sprayed some WD40 around the adjusting "cog" while rotating the headlight so the lube would run down the adjustment shaft. I made a very slight adjustment before I reinstalled the headlight, and ended up being right the 1st try! But after the WD40 soaked in, I found I was able to use a screwdriver to adjust while it is still in the car.
I think the original idea was that you could use a #2 phillips screwdriver to adjust, but forget it on a 10 yr old car.
Oh yeah, and don't forget the cog is just a cheap piece of plastic, so the teeth will tear right off if you try too hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts