VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an '89 jetta GLI 16V with a rebuild motor and quite a few mods.
the problem im having is when either at idle or half way through 1st gear and then sometimes 2nd gear, it sounds like a dead lawnmower. it will not accelerate, sputters and backfires and feels like it is lacking fuel. then when it gets into the higher rpms it kicks in and my head hits the back of the seat. it feels like someone let go of the rubberband. once i am at higher rpms and on the freeway it runs just fine, but down low it truly is lacking and sounds/feels horrible. i have had all the fuel injectors replaced, new nology plug wires and new distributor all in the last month hoping to fix the problem. my guy thought that would do it but it still runs bad.
maybe the cis? maybe the idle stabalizer valve?
any help thank you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Re: help with sputtering 16V (kingco.kreuzer16V)

could possibly be the ICM, or "ignition control module", $40 for the generic. I would also check the timing, and tune the air/fuel ratio to 5mA

·
Registered
877 Posts
Re: help with sputtering 16V (Freerevving)

Mines a Motronic, so it could react differently, but mine was doing this lately as well. I replaced the O2 sensor, injector o-rings ( they were very bad), checked and advanced the ignition timing, and checked and adjusted a/f ratio to spec. Car now runs like a champ. Great throttle response, no bogs or hesitations. Problem is, I don't know if only one of these things caused the problem or if it was cumulative. All needed doing, I wasn't just throwing money and time at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts