VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently attempted to put my g-grind cam in, and all was well until it came to putting the timing belt back on...I dont know how to tension the thing. The tensioner pulley has a lock-nut to loose, but there's no inside nut to turn to tension the belt once you loosen the locknut...and in the process my timing's probably off by a little. Anyone have any advice??
Thanks,
joe

·
Registered
20,312 Posts
Re: help with timing belt tensioning (JoeHydrickGTI)

I'm guessing that you have one of the later style tensioners w/ the two holes that required the special VW spanner. You can either get one of these spanners, or use something else to pull the tensioner into position. I used a pic tool, but and kind of hook tool w/ a point small enough to get into the hole should work.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: help with timing belt tensioning (Vedubauman)

Put only enough tension on the timing belt so that when you turn the belt (between the cam pulley & intermediate pulley) 90 degrees that you feel some resistance when turning the belt. Be sure to recheck your timing marks after setting the tension. Regards, WWR.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

on the tensioner it looks as if there is only one small hole...i'll have to take a close look

·
Registered
4,889 Posts

use two skinny allen wrenches that fit good and tight in the holes, the 90deg angle replaces the screwdriver so you can put some tension on it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts