VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm hoping someone here might have some advice for me.
My 2004 Touareg V10 TDI drives like something's not just quite right, although hard for me to put my finger on.
Essentially it feels sluggish, like it doesn't downshift to accelerate as quickly as it should, and like the automatic shifting is slightly jerky. This stuff is all even more noticeable at slower speeds and going up hill, but I think it's true even on city streets.
It's happened a few times, going up a fairly steep hill, that it seems to lose power and I can't get it over 20 or 25 mph even flooring it. Then when I turn the vehicle off and then back on, it can go more or less like normal again.
Still, "normal" feels to me like something less than it used to be.
I've recently changed the oil and all the filters (air, oil, fuel).
The dealer's service department says they can't find anything and the computer is not giving any error codes, but I know that it's not driving right.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm near Boulder, CO, if anybody knows a serious expert in the Boulder or Denver area.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Ross K
Colorado

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Help with Touareg TDI sluggishness (Rossputin)

Hey Ross,
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. If the problem didn't exist prior to changing the air and fuel filters, I would naturally suspect something went wrong with those swaps. Though oil change related problems can cause significant issues, I wouldn't expect one like what you have described. If you changed these things to try to "fix" the problem then never mind.
Lastly, are you running pure diesel or bio?
good luck,
Garth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Help with Touareg TDI sluggishness (canon_mutant)

Garth,
Thanks for the reply.
The problems were occurring before the filter and oil changes.
I was hoping those things might help, but they haven't.
Running regular diesel, not bio.
Thanks again,
Ross

·
Registered
46,799 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rossputin »
just had fuel filter changed!

You hope. Maybe they did it, maybe not. Also, it could be possible that they bled the fuel system incorrectly. I would take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rossputin »
just had fuel filter changed!

Sluggishness as you describe is, in the TDI engines, almost always a symptom of insufficient fuel. The most common cause is a clogged fuel filter. It doesn't take much to clog them, as the PD engines have very fine filters so gunk doesn't hurt the pumps, which generate around 30,000 PSI to the rail. One bad tank is all it takes, with sufficiently bad fuel.
Spockcat is correct, of course- you should have the car checked for proper fuel pressure.
I'm betting you'll find that low fuel pressure is your cause. The dealer can throw a gauge on the rail to check it quickly, if they have the tools to work on the PD engines.
-Will

1 - 7 of 7 Posts