VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to swap my auto trans in my 03 jetta 2.0 to a manual. Here's the questions.
My car currently has 84k on the 2.0 motor. Eventually I am swapping in a R32 w/ manual trans in it once this motor goes.
Is it worth the effort to do the swap now?
How much a pain is it to do? Yes I am very mechanically inclined, but not sure about time frame to do the swap, parts needed, accesibility of the parts.
Any help would be great.
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. But searched the tranny forums and couldn't find anything about my specific application.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
search is best answer, research this site like it was a final exam in college, trust me you will come up with a lot of things. ALSO ill say it now, not trying to be mean but if u dont really know whats entailed on a transmission swap on a 2liter 8v, then there is no way you will be able to figure out how to get that r32 in and running. Best bet is to sell your car and either buy an r32 or sell it and buy a 5 speed 1.8t or vr6 5 speed jetta, truly its your best bet. no hard feelings and nothing to put you down its just what everyone is going to tell you.

· Registered
2,492 Posts
Re: (DA_LUV_4_DA_DUB)

all that aside, if u really are determined to do the swap and can find the parts for cheap u'll need this (among other things, not the most familiar with the mk4's):
tranny
clutch
flywheel
linkage
pedal cluster
clutch cable
prob a little fiddling around relocating wires
also prob need to do: ECU, and maybe even the gauge cluster (had some issues in a b3 passat)

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (DA_LUV_4_DA_DUB)

I do know in general what is entailed, done plenty of engine swaps/ tranny swaps in other brand vehicles. Just not sure which tranny combo would work. Like will the 6sp work on the 2.0?
And already plenty of R32 swaps to go by. Not a big issue. Don't want a golf, Love the Jetta's.
Selling my car isn't an option. I owe 12,500 on it now, trade in is only 8500 on my model/year.

Am considering waiting now to put in the R32 with the tranny together. Really want the 6sp.
Tried search before I posted. Perhaps used the wrong search words, but couldnt find anything on the auto to manual swap for the 2.0

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (MecE2.0)

Thanks for the list. Thats the basics I figured, but didn't know if there was any little things that I was not figuring into the list.
Wasn't sure if axles, mounts, etc like that would work.
I know the gauge cluster for sure has to swap. Auto has the shift indicator in the gauges. But would the manual hook up identically. I believe I have the immobilizer and from what I understand that involves the cluster.
But now considering waiting to do the motor tranny together. Especially if I would have to swap trannies again with the R32.

· Registered
6,871 Posts
the r32 trans will not work with the 2.0...but the GLI/337/20th 1.8t one will. to put an R32 motor in your car you'll need the ecu, harness, instrument cluster.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (the_q_jet)

Okay, so heres another q. Will the 1.8t tranny hold up on an R32 later?
Yes, I realize most of the electronics will have to change on the swap. Just hard to find donor cars in my area. Especially R32's
In the meantime think I'm going to do all the body work, suspension, wheels, etc.
What about axle compatibilities? Will my current ones work on say the 1.8t?
I know almost every thing in the front has to swap for the R32. Which is why I am waiting for this motor to need replacing before doing it. Figure about 5k worth of work doing the swap.Going to have to find several donor cars. Figure probably a VR6 jetta for some and the R32 for the rest.
Just not happy with the current auto. Have some issues with it.

· Registered
6,871 Posts
Re: (My003MKIV)

Quote, originally posted by My003MKIV »
Okay, so heres another q. Will the 1.8t tranny hold up on an R32 later?
Yes, I realize most of the electronics will have to change on the swap. Just hard to find donor cars in my area. Especially R32's
In the meantime think I'm going to do all the body work, suspension, wheels, etc.
What about axle compatibilities? Will my current ones work on say the 1.8t?
I know almost every thing in the front has to swap for the R32. Which is why I am waiting for this motor to need replacing before doing it. Figure about 5k worth of work doing the swap.Going to have to find several donor cars. Figure probably a VR6 jetta for some and the R32 for the rest.
Just not happy with the current auto. Have some issues with it.
gah! dont bother puttin in the 1.8t 6spd if you plan on swappin to an .:R32

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yea that's pretty much what I am figuring. Just don't know about the auto for another 100k miles. And turbo's are out. Money better spent on the swap.
Oh well, guess it's on to body/suspension work.

· Registered
6,871 Posts

Yea that's pretty much what I am figuring. Just don't know about the auto for another 100k miles. And turbo's are out. Money better spent on the swap.
Oh well, guess it's on to body/suspension work.
maintain the car and that auto will last fine. and turbos are NEVER out
the $800bux i spent puttin this turbo on my car hurts a poor ole .:R32 and im STILL UNTUNED

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

How are you hurting a R32? What kinda numbers are you getting out of the turbo?
And from the estimates I get I couldnt add a turbo to mine fore less then 2k. Plus then not sure the auto would hold up under the extra load.
Just curious how you got only 800 into yours?
If I could do a turbo for 800 I would do so in a heartbeat.

· Registered
6,871 Posts

How are you hurting a R32? What kinda numbers are you getting out of the turbo?
And from the estimates I get I couldnt add a turbo to mine fore less then 2k. Plus then not sure the auto would hold up under the extra load.
Just curious how you got only 800 into yours?
If I could do a turbo for 800 I would do so in a heartbeat.
OK, first off it helps if you know how to weld/fabricate. I exaggerated a lil bit...i dont HURT an .:R but they dont go anywhere on me and i'm COMPLETELY UNTUNED now with that said...the turbo i have is off of a WRX that i got for free...most of them will either give you it free or you'll find em for 100bux
the list of stuff I needed to make this work for under 1k or damn close to it
Flanges - 75
Intercooler - 100
DP/IC Piping - 130
BFI Steel Pre-Tapped Oil Pan - 100
WideBand – 150
BOV – 50
Injectors – 150
Silicon and clamps – 135
Oil feed/return parts - 100
Boost Gauge - 50
for me that was it in a nutshell...i added a couple things like the 100bux in oil feed/return stuff...i got all that for free...the BFI pan isnt really needed...if you're resourceful enough it can all be done for under 1k like i did.

P.S. that was at 12psi with the potential for 20psi outta this turbo

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

How would my auto handle that? I know the manuals can handle the extra power, but never really seen anyone with the auto try it.
Did you have to relocate the battery? Or did you get everything to fit fine without doing any relocating?
Tried to find some buildups of doing the 2.0 and found several. Most however are doing alot of steps I dont find needed.
What is the # on the injectors your using?
Sorry alot of q's. Just after reading the buildups from most others, there is alot that doesn't make sense.
And do you throw any cel's?
@ 12psi wouldnt you need to raise the intake so as to lower compression? Most say that stock you shouldn't be running more then 9psi. Anything more you end up blowing rings, etc at stock.

· Registered
2,492 Posts

the auto could handle it as long as you didn't drive like an idiot, but then what would the fun be in having the turbo. 440cc injectors are good for turbos on the 2.0L, but your gonna def want software for it. 12psi wouldn't be too bad as long as u had FMIC or water to air, and had it properly tuned with a good ign. and there's no raising the intake, a thicker head gasket can lower comp, so can dishing pistons, or gettin low comp ones.
straight up tho wouldn't bother going turbo with an auto, 020's have probs with clutch slippage under moderate boost (like 10psi in some cases) and you prob wouldn't enjoy it that much.
question: with your planned r32 build, were u just wanting the engine, or were you planning on going awd?

· Registered
6,871 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MecE2.0 »
the auto could handle it as long as you didn't drive like an idiot, but then what would the fun be in having the turbo. 440cc injectors are good for turbos on the 2.0L, but your gonna def want software for it. 12psi wouldn't be too bad as long as u had FMIC or water to air, and had it properly tuned with a good ign. and there's no raising the intake, a thicker head gasket can lower comp, so can dishing pistons, or gettin low comp ones.
straight up tho wouldn't bother going turbo with an auto, 020's have probs with clutch slippage under moderate boost (like 10psi in some cases) and you prob wouldn't enjoy it that much.
question: with your planned r32 build, were u just wanting the engine, or were you planning on going awd?
we have o2j's in our cars...also the autos for mk4 are a tad stronger as well

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

With the R32 build, just planned going motor/tranny. Don't want to get as deep as 04DubDave did with his build.
So I take it that it is pretty much useless to try and add a turbo right now? Wouldn't the ECU from the MKV 2.0t's work for the programming?

· Registered
6,871 Posts

So I take it that it is pretty much useless to try and add a turbo right now? Wouldn't the ECU from the MKV 2.0t's work for the programming?
HELL NO THAT ECU WOULDNT WORK! its a completely different fuel system design...google:FSI as far as the turbo'ing of your motor...if all you plan on doin is swappin a R32 motor in trans in then you mine as well turbo it and get AT LEAST as much hp and most likely more for half the price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.