VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I have a 2002 GTI VR6. Last night I drove it home from work and everything was fine. I woke up this morning to find that it won't start! When you turn the key it makes a rapid clicking sound and the lights in the dash flash on and off with the clicks. What does this sound like to you guys?
Thanks for your help (in advance).
-Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Help! Woke up this morning and car won't start! (charliemonster42)

Well I went down to walmart and got 6gauge starter cables (mine were missing for some reason...) and I have it hooked up to my bro's prelude. I've waited for awhile before trying to start it but so far it hasn't been successful, it just makes that rapid clicking, doesn't sound like its trying to do much, and it doesn't start. Any more suggestions? Should I remove the battery and take it down to walmart tomorrow and get them to test it?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Re: Help! Woke up this morning and car won't start! (dictatorfagan)

Rapid clicking is because theres not enough juice to actually turn the engine over, its just the solynoid trying to turn the starter. The giveaway is that its making the lights in the car go on and off as you try to start it. I bet you have a stero in the car that got left on. Is it even possible to leave the lights on? I know if you pull the e-brake the lights go off. I've left mine on for over 8 hours before (parking lights) and the car started up just fine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: Help! Woke up this morning and car won't start! (v-dub gti)

the starter could be jammed, too. try either a) giving the starter a good solid whack with something heavy, on the solenoid, or b) if the cars manual, put it in gear and roll it forward & backwards a bit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Help! Woke up this morning and car won't start! (Wicked1.8T)

hey guys, I took the battery out and walmart said it had a dead cell. I bought a new battery and hooked it up, but I think I did it backwards (I put the negative terminal on before the positive terminal) so now it still won't start. Did I ruin my new battery?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

nevermind it works! but the terminal clamps are too loose even after tightening the nuts all the way. I think I'll go down to autozone and see if they know what to do about it. thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
119 Posts

After you get it running get it tested to make sure that your alternator is charging the battery. You can do it with a voltmeter, a lot of auto parts stores will do it for free. My alternator went bad on my VR6, and it was a pain in the butt to get it taken care of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.