VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Im brand new to the forum in need of some big help

I recently took a 99 Passat 1.8t for a day of testing I am in real need of a Daily driver so I wanted this car however this car for some reason feels slower then a moped I dont even feel a kick when I punch it for something making 150hp it feels like a n/a 70hp car.
I really dont know anything about VW or hell anything about imports (being a domestic guy) but this car really feels bad I felt the tubing that runs into the intake and it doesnt feel like boost is going on I can hear a very small spool no black smoke yet from 0 to 60 took 15 secs.
Is there a way besides dynoing it to check if its making the average hp? I need to try something that would really let me know its working up to speed.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
pull some codes from the computer.... possibley sluding of the engine if not taken care of.... many things here probably

·
Banned
949 Posts
Re: (slowonder)

Boost gauge might be a decent idea, but if you can get access to a vagcom (checks codes, can log boost, timing, iat's, etc, etc, what the above poster is talking about) that is ideal.
Maybe try the regional forums and see if anyone around you has a vagcom and can meet you somewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (RexPelagi)

I did find some.....goey gel like residue around the oil filter and am I correct in guessing its sludge buildup?
Would sludge buildup really break down the engine that much to lose 100 or so horses?
Is there anything else I need to look for if it is sludge? and can I do anything like flushing it help?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
if it is sludging i wouldnt get it and look for something else.... sludge can really kill an engine if its not taken care off....if u can pull the oil cap and take a look in there and see if there is gunk built up all around it or take your finger and see if u can wipe some stuff of from inside there.... NOT WHILE ENGINE IS RUNNIN lol...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also think I am leaking oil however it feels like grease it not being dark just a light film with dirt particals in it am I wrong?

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Re: (slow99passat)

The goo might not really make the ENGINE lose 100hp... butit would certainly kill the turbo right quick, leaving you with about a 100hp motor with 0 boost.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (WhiteG60)

It seems that on the dipstick there is a brown hard residue on it that is a sign that water is leaking into my oil correct? Coolant leakage is the only way to get moisture into my engine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts