VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.... My corrado... is acting up...
and ive read like everything gone everywhere trying to find some one that had the same problem and how they fixed it... but i can't find n e one that had the same problem.... ok... lets see... my car idels fine... but when im driving it... and i give it gas... (not a lot) but you know.. or when i floor it... eather way.. sometiems it works fine.. and other times it starts to lose power... my rpms start going down... and then the car after like 10 seconds kicks in and starts acceling... so some one told me to change the fuel pump.. but i havn't gotten there yet.. and im doubting that it is the fuel pump cause i have black smoke come out of my exhaust when it starts to do that.. and also... i changed my spark plugs and they where as black as black can be... so that means my car is running really rich... sooo.... n e one know what it could be?!?!?! thnx

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Help??? (Mofoparrot)

1. Buy air fuel gauge install it....
2. Check o2 sensor action, its wiring especially. Replace if defective (see #1 on how to test
) or if lazy just tape shut the WOT throttle body microswitch.
3. Check blue coolant temp sensor (ohm 170-210 @ 180F coolant), or unplug the harness of both blue and black coolant sensors and plug blue harness into black sensor, go drive. (if power is normal replace $14 blue sensor).
4. Check ohms on co_pot (outer two pins, nominal 450-500 ohms), adjust as necessary (remove tamper proof metal slug).

[Modified by mrkrad, 8:42 PM 9-28-2002]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Help??? (mrkrad)

I am not sure if this says anything at all, but I us to have a truck and I ahd put in a higher octane gas that is recomended (91 instead of 87) and I changed my spark plugs and U had the exact problems. The way that my uncle (mechanic) and I researched on is that using the wrong octane then what is recomended and changing octanes or mixing octanes causes access carbon build up. So basicall all that I did was start just using 87 octane and the car got better gas milage (which of course makes sence due to new plugs) but it was a dramatic change and also when I replaced the plugs a second time they didn't have any sign of carbon build up or anything. If you want to excell the process add gumout engine treatment. Not the extra concentrated not the STP just the regular white bottle Gumout gas treatment. I don't know if this will fix it but I know that you will have less of a problem. Again I had the start of that problem with my GTI also and doing this same method it eliminated the problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Help??? (vdubin90)

Okay I guess I should have read that better, but my truck rean good off of 87 octane, and with my GTI I must have 89 or anything around that nothing lower though. What else I discovered really matters is the type of petrol that you get. To me mobil gas is the best I get the best mpg and i think most power while the worst I can think of off hand is Super America and all of these oter cheap places by my house like gas and splash or something generic. By the way I jsut got my G-60 what do you recommend for ocatane??

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: Help??? (lostboy)

by the way, which gas company has the best gas? I used to go to only exxon, mobile, and amoco. Exxon and Mobile are the same company. And just recently, BP and Amoco join forces. But I heard from my dad that BP had bad gas, claiming that it blew his engine. And when I talked to the BP worker (when amoco and BP joined) he said the exxon was one of the worst gas you can get. Any comments? I'd really like to know that my corrado is getting the best.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well.. ive been running 93... and i put that stp injecter cleaner stuff in there and all and the problem dosen't get better im gona try those 4 steps tomorow or when i get time... and see what happens..... cept.... 2 problems... i have no clue where my o2 is... lol and i also have no clue how im gona do this with my right hand being in a cast... lol

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

Your O2 sensor is plugged into the front of the catalytic converter toward the top.
As for your hand...well...you won't get much help from the Vortex there.

My car hesitates an awful lot sometimes but it's not nearly as bad as you've described. I have the best luck with Shell 93 octane, but people always look at me like this
when I tell them that.
I just changed my SC outlet and IC tubes this weekend and it made no difference with the hesitation, although the throttle response is better and I can hear the g-lader more. I guess now I'm going to start replacing vacuum lines. You can always check those in addition to what's been said above.
Also, I'm using this as a reference.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Re: Help??? (aerolounge)

* I was having thesame prob. before. Try this>> Check the timing or reset it, make sure it`s not pinging. Pull out your ISV clean it with carb. cleaner then plug it back in. Never take the ISV off when the engine is running
. If doing that made a difference that`s your prob. Check your vac. lines for leaks too.
*Do not buy 02 sensor yet, check everything first. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
861 Posts
Re: Help??? (djrado)

Also check that the vaccum lines are plugged into the right places. The one from the ECU needs to be in the bottom passenger side (I think)
On the gas issue, Ignoring what individual stores might do to the gas once they get it. I read that there is a larger difference between the summer and winter formulas that between all the major makers COMBINED. I am not sure how it was measured, or even if it was correct, but there are strict standards they are supposed to adhere to.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

sounds like your o2 sensor to me...
same thing happened to me, you take off, everything is good for a few minutes, then she stutters leaving a nice little trail of black smoke

what i did to keep it driveable was unplug the harnessconnector for the oxs and ran fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
btw, i only run 94 octane, gotta love Petro-canada.

·
Registered
629 Posts

I had the same hesitation problems that you are having, without the black smoke. My car was running rich for about 6 months, long enough to fry my Cat. Here is the list of things that were done to my car to solve the problem
Replaced Blue Temp sensor
new plugs
new cap and rotor
new O2 sensor
new cat.
new fuel pump
My car is now running the way it was when I bought it 4 years ago. Hopefully you will not have to do all of these things to fix your car, it cost me like $1000, but if you do at least you will not have to worry about them in the future.

Gas I use is - Sunoco 94 the only clean gas sold in Canada. The rest of the brands sold in Canada don't meet the sulphur parts per million regulations that are set for the U.S. market. I guy I work with has a BMW M535 (Canadian market only) and BMW will have to replace the engine because on damage caused by the sulphur content in the gas.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]by the way, which gas company has the best gas? I used to go to only exxon, mobile, and amoco. Exxon and Mobile are the same company. And just recently, BP and Amoco join forces. But I heard from my dad that BP had bad gas, claiming that it blew his engine. And when I talked to the BP worker (when amoco and BP joined) he said the exxon was one of the worst gas you can get. Any comments? I'd really like to know that my corrado is getting the best.[HR][/HR]​
Not trying to be mean or anything, but talking about which brand of gas you use, or accusing a certain brand of killing your engine, is kind of silly. All the major players in the fuel world swap stock anyways - the BP distributor in Texas will call the Mobil distributor in New Mexico and say "Hey I'm gonna be short a billion gallons of 91 next month, can I buy some off you?" and stuff like that.
The thing to do is pick your particular gas station carefully - i.e. don't buy gas from a run-down rust gas station in a hick town that looks like it was built in the 40's. Older stations are likely to have poorly built steel tanks, instead of a fibreglass or other material. The older tanks deteriorate over time, and contaminants from the surrounding media (soil or gravel or concrete or whatever) like water and silt will find their way in.
There is gonna be bad gas out there, but it isn't something an aware person should worry about. The only reason I can see to have an allegiance to one of the major players would be if you had a monetary tie to them - i.e. a credit card that gave you reward points for Exxon but not BP or something like that.
-Nate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.