VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the B5 forum, but I thought I would try here as well.
My friend just purchased a 2001 A4 and Feduke Motor Company in Binghamton NY seems to be hassling him a bit. They told him there is no radio code for his car. Shouldn't he be able to get a replacement card as the seller of the vehicle didn't have the original? Also, they told him he is not eligible for the maintenance covered under warranty. Is that right? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
27,945 Posts
Re: Helping out a friend with used A4 (lndsld17)

A dealer can get the radio code.
Also, when was the car first put into service and how many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

The terms of the warranty and free maintenance, if any, are listed in the owner's manual. He should read it.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Re: Helping out a friend with used A4 (tjl)

not sure about in 2001, but earlier models have the radio code somewhere in the trunk, like in the spare tire well or something. it's something random like that. needed that when my buddy and i were doing some work on his 98 a4.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote, originally posted by tjl »
The terms of the warranty and free maintenance, if any, are listed in the owner's manual. He should read it.

He has read it and it says he's intitled to it... the dealer is telling him he's not. I'm curious to find out if there's a condition to the effect of limiting the maintenance to the original owner or something similar.
The car is still within its original 4 years/50,000 mile warranty, but I'm not sure by how much.

·
Registered
27,945 Posts

That's strange. I would have assumed that the balance of the original warranty transferred.
I bought a Certified Pre-Owned Audi. It takes the warranty out to 6 years or 100,000 miles. The car was under one year old and had less than 10,000 miles. So, I get more than 5 years and a little more than 90,000 miles remaining, and I can transfer the warranty to the new owner for $150.
So, I can drive the car for a little over four years and still sell the car with a warranty to the new owner. Someone on here already told me that he wants me to call him when I'm ready to sell.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Re: Helping out a friend with used A4 (Cooper)

Quote, originally posted by Cooper »

and I can transfer the warranty to the new owner for $150.

yup, that's what i did when i sold my certified A4. and when i purchased it, it had 49K miles on it, so i got the 50K service done for free. he should definitely have the maintenance if it's within that period. just bring it to another dealer.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Did the Audi dealer say why the warranty is denied? If the manual doesn't limit it to the original owner, then he should still be able to get warranty service (does the owner's manual match the car?).
Here are some possibilities:
a. The Audi dealer wants to see maintenance records, and he didn't get them from the previous owner.
b. The car was previously modified in a way that would be a valid reason for denying warranty service, and that is noted in the warranty records (although the modification may have since been removed, possibly before your friend bought it, so he wouldn't know unless he asked an Audi dealer before buying).
c. The car was previously declared a total loss by an insurance company.
d. The car was sold new in a different country.
He may want to try a different Audi dealer.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote, originally posted by tjl »
Did the Audi dealer say why the warranty is denied? If the manual doesn't limit it to the original owner, then he should still be able to get warranty service (does the owner's manual match the car?).
Here are some possibilities:
a. The Audi dealer wants to see maintenance records, and he didn't get them from the previous owner.
b. The car was previously modified in a way that would be a valid reason for denying warranty service, and that is noted in the warranty records (although the modification may have since been removed, possibly before your friend bought it, so he wouldn't know unless he asked an Audi dealer before buying).
c. The car was previously declared a total loss by an insurance company.
d. The car was sold new in a different country.
He may want to try a different Audi dealer.

Thanks for the insights. He didn't buy the car from an Audi dealership and it is not Certified Preowned, so any questions are strictly associated with just the original factory warranty. He is going to check out a different dealership when he goes to visit his parents but unfortunately he lives in the middle of nowhere, so when he's home, he's only got one that is reasonably close.
I guess the most direct question that needs to be asked is does the factory warranty (and its related service) stay with the car regardless of owner and sales origination (ie, secondary dealer)?

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Quote, originally posted by lndsld17 »

I guess the most direct question that needs to be asked is does the factory warranty (and its related service) stay with the car regardless of owner and sales origination (ie, secondary dealer)?

Unless the warranty description in the owner's manual says otherwise, the warranty stays, as long as no other disqualifying event (such as car being issued a salvage title, car being moved to a different country, etc.) occurs. Of course, warranty service on a particular item may be denied if lack of maintenance or modifications caused the problem (the same as with a first owner, although a second owner may not know the first owner's maintenance habits and/or modifications if s/he didn't make sure to get all of the records).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts