VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Audi TTRS
12,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vito at Exit9 commissioned Howie at HEP to fab up these bumper bars, Vito then finished them off in a nice wrinkle black coating. The
bar makes more room for intercoolers and weighs less than my cut up factory one. Now that i have more room my 6yr old HEP 500Hp
core can be replaced with a larger unit the HEP. Fit and finish is spot on. Fyi can be bought here http://www.e9performance.com/product/hep-mk4-rebar-support

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Vito at Exit9 commissioned Howie at HEP to fab up these bumper bars, Vito then finished them off in a nice wrinkle black coating. The
bar makes more room for intercoolers and weighs less than my cut up factory one. Now that i have more room my 6yr old HEP 500Hp
core can be replaced with a larger unit the HEP. Fit and finish is spot on.

they are nice

Sent from #android baby

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Them are pretty nice. Was gonna do the same thing myself to my car but now that they can be purchased might be easier as I don't have a tube bender

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Have they been crash tested to collapse at the same rate and in the same way as stock? Given the design, it is difficult to see how that would be possible.

The Rebar is responsible for making sure the crumple zones on your lower frame rails collapse at the appropriate time and rate. Also, the speed at which it collapses is integral in the proper deployment of your airbag.

If it doesn't collapse right, the engine could be into the firewall before your airbag even thinks about deploying during a front end collision.

·
Registered
2018 Audi TTRS
12,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have they been crash tested to collapse at the same rate and in the same way as stock? Given the design, it is difficult to see how that would be possible.

The Rebar is responsible for making sure the crumple zones on your lower frame rails collapse at the appropriate time and rate. Also, the speed at which it collapses is integral in the proper deployment of your airbag.

If it doesn't collapse right, the engine could be into the firewall before your airbag even thinks about deploying during a front end collision.
Off course not this is an aftermarket performance part this is not intended for your safety on the road like any aftermarket part you put on your car. Off road use only. But for any of the guys going FI or are FI you are already going to cut the oem bumper support to fit your front mount so safety went out the window as well. So cutting 3/4's of your factory bumper like i had to or removing it completely you should already be well aware of the risks.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
An idea if you can get these without powder coating. If I was to get one I'd have to weld a coupe brackets on to hold my intercooler. If you don't know I can just send pm to veto

·
Registered
2018 Audi TTRS
12,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you get it raw through vito.I was going to originally then he said he was having some powdered and I said just add mine in. He is busy this evening I know he will chime in then.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm a while out before I'd need one but good to know there is options

·
Registered
2018 Audi TTRS
12,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It doesn't use it. It has not even cross my mind since my foam had been out since 07 and gets most of its support from the center mounting point under the grill on the rad support.

·
Registered
2018 Audi TTRS
12,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yea you have the euro jet one that alot of us had been trying to get for a few years. Think maybe stasis originally made. Can no longer get. I had many times over the years to get one used. Most people didn't want to split the intercooler kit up.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

How does this support the front bumper cover? Is it possible to adapt the foam piece under the cover to provide support or are you essentially relying on the structural strength of the cover?
I asked him to make this mostly for myself and any other FI guys out there. With a 6" tall fmic you don't need to cut the OEM rebar but with 8"-10" core you do. Pretty much destroying any saftey built into the OEM support. He did a really nice job as usual and these are made from heavy wall dom tube with gussets to reinforce mating. The foam could fit with trimming and some work I'd guess with a 8" core, but as James said many run the bumper without the foam and have no issues with wind deforming. Hitting or pushing with just the plastic cover is another story but people need to be smarter then to that. :)

You can get them in raw but need to let me know as a batch comes in. I order them in 5 and another order is on the way already.

This is with a 10" core:

And another 8" core:

·
Registered
2018 Audi TTRS
12,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for chiming in Vito. I have the original 8in core and want to go to the 10in core i been saying that to Howie for like 2 yrs everytime i visit lol.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.