VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
41,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So yesterday morning I drove down and met up with a friend and headed to the track. There are usually three vintage weekend events at Road America but this one is the one you want to see. All of the toys come out for this one. Every year they usually have a featured series or type of car. I didn’t go last year but the year before that was Can Am and that was really really neat. This year it was NASCAR, fitting because a couple weeks ago they raced cup cars here for the first time in like 65 years or something. It was promptly voted the best NASCAR track in the country by the fans.

I had to work late Friday so I missed the racecar parade and concourse. What they do is line up at the track and parade the 3 or so miles from the track into “downtown” Elkhart Lake and then have a concourse down by the lake by Siebkens and the Oosthoof resorts. On Saturday they have a streetcar concourse the same place, but minus the parade.

Anyway, on to the pics. I met up with my friend and as we approached the track the first car I saw was an 812, it wasn’t being very Superfast. The gentleman in the Ferrari hat, shirt, and shoes did not seem amused.

normally on this weekend I’d spend a lot of time riding around on my bike and scoping out the parking lots but I didn’t bring one because I only had the afternoon.

a couple years ago for Can Am they had probably most of the surviving Shadow cars, it was pretty nuts.

I was debating on not going this year, but then when I found out this next car was there I knew I had to check it out.

Unfortunately the engine bay was covered. I did get to see it run on the track at speed which was a nice treat. Unfortunately after a few laps a car went off so there was a yellow flag so it more or less ended the session. Having seen the Audi TDI prototypes run here during the ALMS years I expected the 908 to be about as quiet as the Audis, it wasn’t. It was definitely quiet for a prototype but noticeably louder than I remember the Audis being.

·
Registered
BMW M3, Mazda CX-5, Ford E350, motorcycles
2,525 Posts
That roadrunner makes me strangely happy. The stance is off-the-charts cool probably because it's all function.

Thanks for the photos; looks like a great event!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Some epic machinery there. Love the CTS-V racecar...but I could be biased.

·
41,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That roadrunner makes me strangely happy. The stance is off-the-charts cool probably because it's all function.

Thanks for the photos; looks like a great event!
I’ve never seen a racing version of a Roadrunner/Superbee. Not sure if it’s real or not but it was very very cool. A couple years ago there were a handful of the streetcars here. That was amazing to see them being driven.

Some epic machinery there. Love the CTS-V racecar...but I could be biased.
lots more pics comin

·
41,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

great patina on this 914 errr 911

haven’t seen a set of a these in a minute

I’m a big fan of the Ferrari hatchbacks

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Wow, Awesome! So much eye candy. I’d say I’m orange-biased because I love the road runner and the Jaegermeister Porsche, but then the blue Cheetah takes my heart back to being a kid and the Patron LMP car gives me the warm fuzzies. So I guess I’m not as biased as I thought.

Looks like a great event, thanks!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts