VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
481 - 500 of 1057 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well that's good news! This is the first report of an '18 gti in the US. Hopefully this means we'll be seeing them in larger numbers soon. VWOA has sure taken their sweet time:banghead:
Yeah I said "2 model years old" about a '15 and he corrected me to "3"... and I said... "but the 2018's aren't available" and he said "true, but we have one."

·
Registered
17,742 Posts
As LIJetta18t mentioned above, the SEL trim could very well be introduced sometime next year. I see bunch of 2017 SELs at dealers in my area even though officially the SEL trim isn't available for 2017, only S and Wolfsburg.
I am guessing this could be the case. Just checked autotrader.com for 2017 Golf hatches and as of today, the nationwide listings break down as:

S - 488
Wolfsburg Edition - 160
SE - 501
SEL - 370

While the SE is the most numerous, the SEL is by a few thousand the highest priced Golf and a tough one to sell. So it is likely they're trying to hold off on any new 2018 SELs.

Sure don't know why VW sat on any of these all year long and dumped them at the last minute rather than spreading them out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am guessing this could be the case. Just checked autotrader.com for 2017 Golf hatches and as of today, the nationwide listings break down as:

S - 488
Wolfsburg Edition - 160
SE - 501
SEL - 370

While the SE is the most numerous, the SEL is by a few thousand the highest priced Golf and a tough one to sell. So it is likely they're trying to hold off on any new 2018 SELs.

Sure don't know why VW sat on any of these all year long and dumped them at the last minute rather than spreading them out.

I certainly hope they introduce it at some point. If I decide to get a 2018 Golf (and I'm leaning towards it), the fully loaded SEL will be my top choice. Would love it if they also offered the digital cockpit on the Golf, but that's likely not happening any time soon (or ever, knowing VW America). Still, I'm looking forward to test driving the new 2018s once the dealers finally get them, but will probably not make a purchase until they start offering incentives on the 2018s, which will likely not happen until next summer I think, due to the large number of 2017s still sitting on dealer lots and the late introduction of the 2018s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MY2018 GTI Autobahn - CANADA - VAQ Questions

Hi!

I have heard many conflicting things about this. Does the 2018 GTI Autobahn (in Canada) have the VAQ diff? I can't find this in the order guide, but it does have the performance brakes & +10HP. The order guide mentions the XDS ediff.

I have reached out to media relations at VW Canada and they informed me the Autobahn cars do indeed have the VAQ unit in them.

As a result of all this, I'm quite confused. I'm on the fence about the MY2018, and if it has the VAQ, that might put me over the fence. (I have a non-PP MY2015 Autobahn GTI currently).

Can someone with a MY2018 Autobahn (Canadian model) confirm that it does have the VAQ? Perhaps a VW tech can chime in?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Im interested to know/hear about the Mk7.5 GTI rear muffler/exhaust... the tips are noticeably larger... is it louder? Does it look like the Clubsport S?

I find it hard to believe for a limited production run car such as the Clubsport S that VW just keeps selling these rear mufflers...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi!

I have heard many conflicting things about this. Does the 2018 GTI Autobahn (in Canada) have the VAQ diff? I can't find this in the order guide, but it does have the performance brakes & +10HP. The order guide mentions the XDS ediff.

I have reached out to media relations at VW Canada and they informed me the Autobahn cars do indeed have the VAQ unit in them.

As a result of all this, I'm quite confused. I'm on the fence about the MY2018, and if it has the VAQ, that might put me over the fence. (I have a non-PP MY2015 Autobahn GTI currently).

Can someone with a MY2018 Autobahn (Canadian model) confirm that it does have the VAQ? Perhaps a VW tech can chime in?

Much appreciated!
I wouldn't trust VW Canada media relations as they told me the base GTI had Xenon headlights when in fact it only has halogen. One if the reasons I ordered the Autobahn version over the base. For the diff I'm assuming it doesn't have it but will be pleasantly surprised if it does.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't trust VW Canada media relations as they told me the base GTI had Xenon headlights when in fact it only has halogen. One if the reasons I ordered the Autobahn version over the base. For the diff I'm assuming it doesn't have it but will be pleasantly surprised if it does.
Hmm...interesting. When are you taking delivery? Would love to know the answer on the VAQ before I place an order.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,758 Posts
I was going to say that the GTI definitely won't have VAQ diff . But then I looked at the US media release and...

:eek:

SE and Autobahn trims also include the brakes from the Golf R and an electronically controlled, torque sensing, limited-slip VAQ differential.
https://newspress-vwusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/original/7605-2018GolfGTIataGlance.pdf

I realize US and Canadian models aren't always equal in terms of features but things like mechanical drivetrain components usually are identical.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was going to say that the GTI definitely won't have VAQ diff . But then I looked at the US media release and...

:eek:

https://newspress-vwusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/original/7605-2018GolfGTIataGlance.pdf

I realize US and Canadian models aren't always equal in terms of features but things like mechanical drivetrain components usually are identical.
That's what I'm hoping for, but I don't know. I know the US has DCC (active dampers) as an option, but Canada will not. It's a bit of a crapshoot. I really really want that diff though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got it for $1000 under MSRP in Halifax NS Canada. The more I look at it the more I like the colour. The pics don't really do the colour justice.
Congrats! This looks really sharp. Is it Pure White or White Silver Metallic? EDIT: I'm blind.

Also, do you know if the car has the VAQ diff? Would be great if you could confirm that.

Thanks!

481 - 500 of 1057 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.