VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!!

20K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  cobra1 
#1 ·
you all have been asking me a lot about this archived post for a while now, here it is finally, have fun, and as always, e-mail me with any questions:
listed is rabbit stuff, but the rear plugs k,l and m are listed for both
this is if you have the ce2 fuse/relay panel along with all the ce2 wires but either want to keep your rabbit dashes, splice in the rear harnesses, or whatever. listed below is the needed wire splices to a certain extent, not everything is listed, this is just some notes i found lying around in my notebook last night while looking something up for a friend.
here ya go:
non ce2 rear harness wires are listed first along with a - followed by the ce2 wire to hook it to followed by a description of what the wires do
all colors are in german and have the two letters followed by a slash meaning the wire is two colors:

rear plugs: K,L,M black connectors on the ce2 panel
note, i have a shaved hatch on my rabbit, so i didn't need the wires for rear wiper and washer motor, i can get these if need be but here are all the wires i used:
ws/gn - ws rear defroster
sw/ro - sw/ro
sw/ws - sw/ws turn sig
gn/sw - ro/ge FUEL PUMP POWER!!!
sw/gn - sw/gn turn sig
sw/gy - sw/gy
ro/li(ro/ws) on a2's - ro/ws lugage compartment light
li/sw - li/sw fuel level sender
gy - ( gy/ro,gy/gn,gy/gn,gy/sw) hook the one grey to all of the listed ce2 wires, they are all for tailights and liscesne plate lights and all do the same thing on the old harness but have separte wires on the ce2 harness, so splice them all together
gy/gn - br parking brake switch
ge/ws - sw/ge rear wiper
gn/sw - gn/sw
that should be it!!!! hook all the ce2 brown wires together, they are all grounds
that should be all for those, i usually make the splice near the middle of the driver's seat on the floor, that way you have plenty of room and extra wire in caseyou mess up.
oh, here are some notes on the dash stuff i have as well, same format:
light switch:
sw/ge - sw/ge load reduction relay
gy/ro - gy/ro current track 30
br/ws,br - br grounds
ws/sw - ws/sw
gy/bl - gy/bl,gy/bl all interior lights that ared dimmed by the dimmer switch
gy,gy,gy - gy/ro,gy/ro all exterior lights
the rear defroster switch is all the same color wires so that's no deal, as is the rest of the dash
the only tricky part is the blower fan and switch,l which i'll do and update you on.
e-mail me with any ?'s or whatever

[Modified by silvervdubs99, 6:06 PM 12-6-2002]

Modified by silvervdubs99 at 11:41 AM 6-23-2006

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (silvervdubs99)

Ian,
After reading your first post, I started an excel file to track wire locations and splices. Please keep posting so we can put together a file of wiring swap info.
-Peter

#6 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (Nason)

would this be the exact same for the rocco, I'll go ahead and add this to the 16v forum FAQ

#8 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (littledevil34)

as for a2's, there is really little need to do this as you can get a 90+ factory CE2 wiring harness out of any newer a2, so you will not have to worry about what to cut and splice. i would much rather shell out the $100 for an entire a2 ce2 harness then spend an afternoon cuttting, soldering and heat shrinking over 50 wires.

color translations from german to english:
ge: yellow
ws::white
sw:black
gn:green
bl:blue
li:lilac or light purple
ro: red
gy:grey
br:brown
etc.

as for the scirocco, it may be the same, or very similiar, i am unsure, as i haven't messed around with rocco stuff at all.

[Modified by silvervdubs99, 6:04 PM 12-6-2002]

#11 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (vr6swap)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm planning a motronic 16v swap for my caddy-how involved would it be to retain the air conditioning with an a2 based ce2 harness? Where I live,you gotta have a/c.
[HR][/HR]​
The A2 CE2 a/c harness is rather simple, it ties in with the rad fan and thermoswitch as well. Plug N6 (Green 6 pin) gets plugged in to the back of the fusebox. There is a white 5 pin connector off of plug N6 that goes to the a/c climate controls, it needs to be plugged/splced in.
Then the power wire for the rad fan and the green a/c compressor signal wire (Red and green wires respectively, in plug N6) go through the firewall. The green wire goes in line to the high/low pressure switches in your high pressure a/c line (which eventually ends up going to the 2 pin a/c compressor plug), and the red power wire goes to the rad fan relay on the radiator fan shroud, which ties into the rad fan thremo switch as well. Thats about it.
Post up if you have and questions...its really not that bad...the diagrams for the A2 a/c system in the Bentley are the best resource, a very few of us have done a/c in our swaps (I do a/c in all my personal swaps)

#14 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (2lrabbitgti)

back up^^^ a lot of people been asking bout this thread recently, i guess they wanna finish up there winter projects now the weathers nice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#19 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (JNXtheband)

i just got done doing this to my 84 bunny its a 2.0 16v with digi I. it wasn't that hard just a lot to soilder to get all the bunny stuff spliced in cause i only used the corrado engine and headlight harness. after i'm done with the wiring i see this

#20 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (blackbunny)

I'm pulling this from the grave. I am swapping ina 92 GTi motor into my rabbit. I bought a full CE2 harness from a 90 jetta, fuse box and all. All I want is headlights, signals, radio, and heater. Nothind alse what can I remove friom this stupid fuse box to claean this up?? help me please

#21 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (Jeramiah)

My rear harness is out of a 79 and the fuel pump power wire is red/yellow. There is a red/yellow wire that is in black port K on the CE2 harness along with the purple fuel level sender wire and a brown wire. I assume the brown is ground. In your original post the pump power wire says green/white? should I ignore that? because the only green/white wire coming out of that rear harness from the A1 is connect to a relay port?

#23 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (JNXtheband)

Quote, originally posted by JNXtheband »

any word on this?

Too bad this didn't get all the way finished but I think it will be a big help when i finally get to finish my GTI project.

#24 ·
Re: HERE WE GO: CE2 conversion for all a1 cars, wiring diagrams inside!!!! (Jeramiah)

Quote, originally posted by Jeramiah »
My rear harness is out of a 79 and the fuel pump power wire is red/yellow. There is a red/yellow wire that is in black port K on the CE2 harness along with the purple fuel level sender wire and a brown wire. I assume the brown is ground. In your original post the pump power wire says green/white? should I ignore that? because the only green/white wire coming out of that rear harness from the A1 is connect to a relay port?

I am doing this to my 79 as well. Bump for an answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.