VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question.

1K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  GranTouring InjectedVR6 
#1 ·
Ok here's the deal. My buddy just opened a race shop and is looking to build a full out import drag car to add to his 9 sec. Mustang. I told him I would go in half on it if it was a VW. He agreed and now the job has to be planned. What I am looking for is good comparisons on wether to go G60 with some sort of FI or VR6 FI ? This car will only need to go straight with the occasional corner off of the trailer. The car will be tubbed out with a full cage, stand alone engine management, custom manifolds, etc. Here's my dilema $$$$$.
I know my way around a VR6 NA and FI so my specialty would be to build a VR6 FI but I'm wondering if I could get the same out of a built G60 ? Taking into consideration money and my knowledge of a VR6 what would be the better of the two to build.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (joeZX6)

Aww poop Joe just said VR6. WTF are you feeling ok down there ?? Did the orange juice get to your head Eaton Boy ??? Hey how about you just sell me ur Corrado and that will be the end of the discussion.

#7 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (joeZX6)

I'm a G60 guy myself, but a VR6T would be soooo much faster.
Fastest G60 i've ever seen is a German tuners Rabbit with a 8v G60 with 340crank hp that ran 11.51. (but thats with the G-lader)
An A2 vr6t or corrado vr6t would easlily go faster than that if done right.

[Modified by CorradoFANATIC, 9:46 AM 2-7-2002]

#8 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (CorradoFANATIC)

yup, AME-RACING dragracer :
http://www.ame-racing.de/dragracer/index.html
that's the fastest well-known 8V-G60
JD from JDEngineering has a 1850 CC 16V-G60 bursting out 353 Crank HP

i think with a G60 these number are about the Maximum you can expect. G-chager is no good for applications lager then 1900-2000 CC.
A VR6 Turbo / Bi-Turbo can "easily" go upto 450-500 hp ...
but VR6 tuning costs lots of Cash
check out http://www.eiptuning.com

#11 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (DohRado)

scheet 16v
turbo (pheer)

Thumper Racing
650 HP World Record Holding VW 16V Turbocharged Injected Methanol Dragster
Pete Villemere doing a patented 8,000 rpm high gear burn-out to heat the 14.5 x 32" Goodyear slicks. Sub 60 ft. ET's of 1.20 illustrate this "Rabbit" gets with the program right now! As you can tell from the starting line personnel covering their ears, this isn't your garden variety VW Turbo engine.

Pete Villemure makes adjustments on Thumper Racing's' engine while dyno testing on the SuperFlow dyno. Engine was tested in exact layout as in race car chassis. Initial dyno power of 500 HP was achieved on first dyno pulls @ 13 PSI boost pressure.

Close up look at the tiny 1.8L VW GTI 16V engine buried in the chassis. Note air-to-air intercooler, custom billet aluminum intake manifold with individual throttle plates per cylinder, custom mechanical fuel injection system, K & N air filter, modified Porsche 962 wastegate.

Thumper Racing's 1.8L engine (designed and built by Race-Tech Engineering, Inc.) produced 500 HP outta-the-box at only 13 PSI boost. Test conducted in accordance with SAE standards on calibrated SuperFlow dyno. Data supplied to VW Research and Development at Wolfsburg for review. When boost was raised to 18 PSI peak power of 650 HP was achieved. You'll note that in the data above the torque peak has NOT been reached by 8,000 rpm, which means this engine has much more power to offer. Track performance confirms dyno results... Best World Records 5.42 E.T. @ 125 mph in a 1300 lb. chassis

#13 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (benzivr6)

I'll believe a 5.42 1/4 time when I see it, and at 125 ??? unless I misunderstood something. ???
A 6000 hp topfueler only tales the 1/4 mile in the 4's so I'm not sure how a Rabbit would do it in the 5's ???

[Modified by BadAssCorrado, 10:23 AM 2-7-2002]

#17 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (BadAssCorrado)

I have a VR6T A2 GTI and it's scary fast. The previous owner ran a best of 12.8 at sea level and this is a street duty car. I know your looking for 9's and thats a big difference. If you have seen EIP's MK3 GTI AWD syncro I think it's best time was low 11's and they were running 700-800hp. There is a green A2 gti thats running 10's with a built 1.8L 8v turbo. If you did a search in the MK2 forum you will find it . I'm not saing don't use a VR6 cause I love mine but unless you have alot of money to pour into this car it's not going to run 9's . Dave

#18 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (88JETTEXTREME)

theres a kid in my city that has a eip vr6 turbo and hes making like 500 hp at the wheels but its hasnt been to the track yet,the more hp u squeeze out of e engine the more life u take off of it,look at the top import drag racers they rebuild there engines every time they race.

#21 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (BLUE NRG)

Almost all of the 450-600hp vr6's I've seen have been in full street trim. There was a eip Corrado awhile back running 11.1's like this. Tub it out, put skinnies on the back and shed all the unnecessary weight and you could definately see the 9's.

#23 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (VRSIX POWER)

Kinda curious here. A 9 sec front driver is awful quick and awfully stressful on our fragile front axles. What sort of things do you have in mind to beef up the axles/CV joints? AWD?
Tom
94 SLC
86 Jetta coupe

#25 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (MaestroG60)

Honestly now,lets face the facts,you will prpbably never see 9 seconds with a Corrado,Unless its fiberglass and tube frame,with nothing but motor,and some solid axles and a solid gearset.
It will take a 2.9,or 3.0 VR6 Turbo with atleast 28 psi to get through the 1/4 with some good speeds,like over 140 mph.
Schimmel did 11.1 at 134 mph on a full interior,daily driver capable VR6 Turbo.
Now that is insane.

#26 ·
Re: Here's a new twist on the G60 vs VR6 question. (KinetikSLC)

forget em both and trick out that bugatti W16 quad turbo.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.