VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A review I wrote in epinions.com about my Passat TDI during a rare moment of spare time:
quote:[HR][/HR]
Let me categorically state that, along with some inexpensive "upgrades," the VW Passat TDI has far surpassed EVERY expectation I have ever had in a car in every metric. On more than one occasion, I have PERSONALLY driven this car over 920 miles on a single 18.5 gallon tank of fuel, equating to nearly 50 miles per gallon. Others have done MUCH BETTER! This, folks, is achieved in a mid-sized car in the same class as a Toyota Camry and Ford Taurus, and this is achieved without driving like we're in the midst of the OPEC oil embargo!!
With a three-hundred dollar "chip," the tiny and frugal 1.9 litre turbo-diesel engine generates enough power off the line and while passing to drop-jaw owners of seemingly much more powerful V6s and turbocharged 4-bangers, all while retaining the economy and driveability of the unmodified car, if not enhancing over it.
And another thing: please dispel once and for all the notion that Diesels are pollutive, noisy, smelly, pokey, slow, and no fun to drive. They are NONE of these things. If I could include a test drive for everyone reading this review, I probably would do it ;-) That's how much I love my car and rave about it.
[HR][/HR]​
Read the full review here:
http://www.epinions.com/content_46810173060
Appreciate your comments.

[Modified by tdimeister, 4:28 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Here's my contribution to the B4 Passat TDI cause (Syncronicity)

quote:[HR][/HR]They don't have the 1.8L G60 choice for 1992 Passats on the site. Bastards![HR][/HR]​
Neither did they "officially" have a choice for the TDI. How to tell? On the Miles per Gallon section they list 19/26, probably corresponding to the VR6. How funny that I can double those figures
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Here's my contribution to the B4 Passat TDI cause (tdimeister)

AMEN, brother! I only wish I could have found one of those gems. Ended up with a 1996 sedan that's a total blast to drive (especially after the UPsolute chip).
And, you CAN get smoke if you want. Just put in the clutch, downshift (say, to 4th on the highway), rev the engine and drop the clutch. It's a great tailgater deterrent.

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
Re: Here's my contribution to the B4 Passat TDI cause (Syncronicity)

quote:[HR][/HR]They don't have the 1.8L G60 choice for 1992 Passats on the site. Bastards![HR][/HR]​
Its like trying to find info on the 89' Scirocco and 95' Corrado. Hey wait, the US didn't get those either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.