VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
An EV seems like the opposite of what I would want in a rental car. I usually rent for trips where I'm putting on a lot of mileage in a short time. It makes sense that they're leasing them out to Uber drivers, but I hope they keep ICE vehicles available as well for a good long time.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
24,111 Posts
as my friend Robby was a Vehicle Service Attendant for Hertz at the airport so I got to learn all about this from him
My cats name is Robby. This explains where he goes during the day.

This is honestly a smart move. Asses in seats sells cars, and this is a great way to show someone how an EV works in a non sales environment. Back in 2011 and 2012 we were doing this very thing at tech campuses around the bay. I'd round up all the OEM's that had an offering, and we would do ride and drives and static displays, and the campuses would show off their new chargers.

Explain the car, let someone enjoy it away from a dealership, and people talk themselves into things in a hurry. Nicely done GM.

·
Registered
37,204 Posts
An EV seems like the opposite of what I would want in a rental car. I usually rent for trips where I'm putting on a lot of mileage in a short time. It makes sense that they're leasing them out to Uber drivers, but I hope they keep ICE vehicles available as well for a good long time.
Someone else said it and I think they're on to something: it isn't going to be roadtripping families renting them, it's Hertz buying the cars and renting them to Uber/Lyft drivers in dense cities where you aren't covering a ton of miles per day because it's dense, low speed city trips. Think about it this way: an Uber/Lyft driver will spend a certain amount of time just plain parked, barely even using any battery even with the A/C or a mild amount of heat going. So over 8 hours they might be driving 60% of the time and in dense cities you might average 25mph. That's 200 miles in an 8 hour shift. Totally doable in any EV with a 250+ mile range rating even without any fast charge while you're on lunch break.

Hertz.com said:
5 Benefits of Renting with Hertz as an Uber or Lyft Driver
  1. No Long-Term Contract
  2. Standard Maintenance is Always Included
  3. Unlimited Miles for Driving with Uber or Lyft and Personal Use
  4. No additional Insurance Required to Drive with Uber or Lyft
  5. Twenty-Four Hour Roadside Assistance

·
Registered
51,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Someone else said it and I think they're on to something: it isn't going to be roadtripping families renting them, it's Hertz buying the cars and renting them to Uber/Lyft drivers in dense cities where you aren't covering a ton of miles per day because it's dense, low speed city trips. Think about it this way: an Uber/Lyft driver will spend a certain amount of time just plain parked, barely even using any battery even with the A/C or a mild amount of heat going. So over 8 hours they might be driving 60% of the time and in dense cities you might average 25mph. That's 200 miles in an 8 hour shift. Totally doable in any EV with a 250+ mile range rating even without any fast charge while you're on lunch break.

About right. But it actually ends up being a lot of miles if they drive 5/6/7 days a week.

A full-time Lyft and Uber drivers can easily put more than 1000 miles a week, which can translate to over 50,000 miles in a year.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I had my first (and only) ride in a Tesla (Model 3) just a couple of days ago and it was an Uber. The only two things that struck me was the center screen is a very busy place with too much too look at. And the glass roof lets in too much sun in Florida. At $47k for the least expensive Model 3, no way would I ever consider one compared to my $21k Chevy Bolt.
My Uber from the airport in Orange County this week was a Model 3. It seemed pretty plain for the money and the road noise was very prominent. Way more convenient than the Toyota Mirai had as an Uber back to the airport, however. While a striking car, inside and out, it had extremely small rear doors. You basically had to go in head first. And don't get me started on doing so while carrying a bag.

·
Registered
37,204 Posts
About right. But it actually ends up being a lot of miles if they drive 5/6/7 days a week.
What a great fit then. Hertz pays all the maintenance and an unlimited mileage policy based on the link I posted. Since home electricity on overnight charging is a good deal cheaper than gasoline this seems like a good plan. 1000 miles a week like your article quoted works out to 200 miles a day if they're driving 5 days a week, which is precisely what I estimated. If that 1000 miles is over 6 or 7 days, then it's even easier because you have even fewer miles per day between overnight charging sessions at home. The 250-300 mile range figure looks more and more like the ideal design goal for EVs.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Depends on what you are renting for. Sometimes I just need something to get around in a city, sometime I've driving to a different part of the state. For the former, an EV would be great. For the latter, I could see it being a bit annoying.

·
Registered
51,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
What a great fit then. Hertz pays all the maintenance and an unlimited mileage policy based on the link I posted. Since home electricity on overnight charging is a good deal cheaper than gasoline this seems like a good plan. 1000 miles a week like your article quoted works out to 200 miles a day if they're driving 5 days a week, which is precisely what I estimated. If that 1000 miles is over 6 or 7 days, then it's even easier because you have even fewer miles per day between overnight charging sessions at home. The 250-300 mile range figure looks more and more like the ideal design goal for EVs.

And if GM's EVs are $10k-$15k per unit cheaper than the least expensive Model 3, Hertz will be able to rent them out for a bit less and/or make more money renting them out.

·
24,111 Posts
Just had to take an Uber, and I was chatting with the driver about this. He's excited since Uber pushes him to rent a Tesla, and he hates Teslas. He's excited for more options.

He was also ex Russian military, so we had a blast talking about Tom Clancy novels. He seems to think Tom Clancy was high in the Russian military, and defected to the US and got rich writing books. Stranger things have happened I guess. :ROFLMAO:

·
24,111 Posts
Does an Uber driver even make money if they’re paying Hertz along the way?

At least in a financed car they own they’re paying down the note with each monthly payment.
In a financed car they are trading the value of the car for income, and they get hosed. If you finance a car for 60 months, and in that many months it'll have 250k on it, you're in trouble. Back when I ran a store I tried so many times to pull ride share drivers out of cars they owed money on and it was a crap shoot.

·
Registered
37,204 Posts
Does an Uber driver even make money if they’re paying Hertz along the way?

At least in a financed car they own they’re paying down the note with each monthly payment.
Looks like Hertz' rate is $214/week for Uber/Lyft drivers plus tax & fees. I don't know how much they get paid, but if the tax & fees add another 13% or so you're looking at $242/week from Hertz. Like SOS said, owning the car doesn't help much if you're got 250,000 miles on it and have paid for 250,000 miles worth of tires, oil changes, repairs, etc along the way.

The bigger issue is that a lot of Uber/Lyft drivers just plain don't make much money period. It's a tough business model for the drivers, and no cakewalk for the companies as all reports I've seen in recent times indicate both Uber & Lyft are just burning investor cash every year with no clear path to profitability unless something changed that I'm not seeing. Meanwhile, Uber is as mismanaged as ever. They just got hacked via social engineering last week, which is a sign that they have no established security controls as a company.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
I would never want to rent an EV for multiple days, and try to find chargers in a strange city.

At least no time soon.

Looks like Hertz' rate is $214/week for Uber/Lyft drivers plus tax & fees. I don't know how much they get paid, but if the tax & fees add another 13% or so you're looking at $242/week from Hertz. Like SOS said, owning the car doesn't help much if you're got 250,000 miles on it and have paid for 250,000 miles worth of tires, oil changes, repairs, etc along the way.

The bigger issue is that a lot of Uber/Lyft drivers just plain don't make much money period. It's a tough business model for the drivers, and no cakewalk for the companies as all reports I've seen in recent times indicate both Uber & Lyft are just burning investor cash every year with no clear path to profitability unless something changed that I'm not seeing. Meanwhile, Uber is as mismanaged as ever. They just got hacked via social engineering last week, which is a sign that they have no established security controls as a company.
I take Ubers back/forth to the airport, and they are now about $10 cheaper than they were when Uber first started.

Considering inflation, I am assuming either the driver's aren't making much, or they are still subsidizing my rides.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
9,451 Posts
In a financed car they are trading the value of the car for income, and they get hosed. If you finance a car for 60 months, and in that many months it'll have 250k on it, you're in trouble. Back when I ran a store I tried so many times to pull ride share drivers out of cars they owed money on and it was a crap shoot.
But if they rent, they’re paying the lessor for the depreciation of the car -and- the service provided. It doesn’t make drivers more profitable if they rent, it just increases the supply of drivers available to exploit.

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
16,791 Posts
I would never want to rent an EV for multiple days, and try to find chargers in a strange city.
Most rentals are business travelers. 9 out of 10 times, I can rent a car for a week and put less than 150 miles on it.
There are obvious exceptions. Driving from Anchorage to Homer in November is not recommended, but you know this going in.

Wood rent an electric Equinox in Sandy Eggo no problem.

Reactions: Mike!
21 - 40 of 75 Posts