VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 90 2.0 16V was in the paint shop for the last 3 weeks (not driven). I got it today, and the engine hesitates from idle to about 4500 rpm, then power comes in normally.
Last time this happened was after a engine wash, and blowing air in the distributor cap solved the problem. This time, I did the same, even changed the cap, but same problem.
Engine is bone stock.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Re: Hesitation, then normal power at 4500 rpm (hhhjetta)

I had similar symptoms earlier this week. Hard starts from a dead stop and hesitation until 4000 rpm or so. It turned out to be a rather large split in the backside of the intake boot above the airbox. A little electrical tape band-aided it just fine for a few days.......... Its an idea

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Re: Hesitation, then normal power at 4500 rpm (hhhjetta)

Here is your answer. I have ALWAYS felt the sudden power loss (just for a split second), and then it would be gone. Last summer after doing a few small upgrades, it got worse. I changed both of the fuel pumps. I thought the motor was starving for fuel. Still did it with the new pumps.
Just on Tuesday of this week, I made a couple of passes on the local DynoJet dyno. I am making some motor changes and I wanted real world before and after numbers. I make the first pass.
Get out and climb off the dyno to see the charts, ITS RIGHT THERE!!
I can see the power spike on the graph. My weak spot hits at 4600 rpm until 4650 rpm, and then makes power again and smoothens out.
It shows about a loss of (I am going to try to post the dyno chart for you to see it)
3.5 ft.lb torque and of 1.75 hp. Does not sound like much, but it is enough to FEEL.
I (just yesterday) added my fuel enhancement module. Even set to the lowest amount of enhancement, the 4600 rpm spike is gone. Turns out that the 16V does indeed run too lean. The setting about half way makes my GLI run like a different car. It even sounds different. Thats what you need. I have an extra one that I will sell to you for cheap. Check your IM. Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.