VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
39,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wie geht's? Anyway, I have a question about German license plates. I realize this isn't Mk IV specific, but this forum gets more traffic than the regular VW forum. I know someone who has some old German license plates that he is selling as sets. He has a set of ZW plates- which are from Zweibruecken (which was where a US air base that my dad was stationed was located). These plates are different though because they have a yellow section on the right side with a date in that field. I tried to use my German skills on a couple different sites to find out what they were exactly. I think they're some sort of temporary plates for testing or something, but I'm not really sure. Can someone tell me what these plates were used for exactly? Thanks

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 10:52 PM 7-15-2003

· Registered
2,332 Posts
Re: (1 dub)

If I'm right, the date in the yellow rectangle is the date when your "immatriculation" expires. You can get it if you want to use a car for 1 week or so. There's also the plate with a red rectangle and they're valid just for some days, they're like when you sell the car and it has to be exported. It's just so you can drive the car out of the country.

· Registered
13 Posts
Re: Hey German vortexers, I have a question (NoDubJustYet)

That's the original standard plate.

This is the new standard plate with the blue eu sign on the left.

The "short-time-plate". It is for testing or transport. The date in the right corner ist the day when the plate expires. Maximum time, 5 days.

That's the plate for Oldtimers, which are at least 30 years old.

The seasonal plate. The numbers in the right corner are the months between the dmission is valid.

Short-time-plate for export. Valid till the month of the year printed on the right side.

For testing and transport, but this plate can be used for several cars. i.e. for dealers
The same only for oldtimers

All the plates are available with two rows for bikes(280 mm * 200mm) or cars(340 mm * 200 mm), and with one row for only for cars (520 mm * 110 mm)

Gruss Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.