VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to maximize my car's performance with the stock turbo on my 337. So far, i've got samco turbo hoses (the 5 piece ones), carbonio CAI and GHL 2.5" TB. i've kicked off abuot 200lbs, but i'm planning to ADD more power, not LOSE more weight. so any ways, i was thinking of ECU upgrade, ie APR or Revo, power gaskets, smaco TIH, pulleys, MBC, N75, 4bar FPR, and LSD. Now, within that list, there's a gang or things that comes to mind. i'm not too sure as far as what brand to get to maximize my performance.
APR vs. Revo: i konw there's a bunch of threads regarding this, but it'sbascially split in two. one think i do know tho, is that Revo is supposedly better for 5speed than six? so should i go APR?
Gaskets, do'nt rreally know any brand, can u link me?
TIH: i like samco.. so i'll thnk i'll go with taht
Pulleys... probably ECS since that's the only one i've heard of... any other brands, link?
MBC: no idea which one, link?
N75: i thnk ECS has this, link?
4bar FPR: OEM? link?
LSD: i know of quaife and peloquin. i think quaife was the more expensive one. does anyone have experience on either one to suggest whhich to get? link?
ok so overall, besides the obvious stuff i was wondering, can you guys also suggest which one first to get? meaning, to get the biggest jumps in performacne. i know the CHIP will be the best one to get as far as Hp increase. but then, too much will prevent the power to get to the ground, thus i guess the LSD after? help me out guys, thanx
K

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (SlowDalPangEe)

PowerGasket from here, Samco TIH, ECS pulleys, don't need an N75 with a MBC, 4 bar FPR only if you go with REVO 4 bar FPR program, and Peloquin LSD are my recommendations.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts

my buddy with a 20th AE loves his Revo. and i have Revo and i'm extremely happy with it too

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (heysuperman)

Quote, originally posted by heysuperman »
my buddy with a 20th AE loves his Revo. and i have Revo and i'm extremely happy with it too

do you have any other experience with other ECU upgrades?
K

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (VDUBNDizzy)

Quote, originally posted by VDUBNDizzy »
PowerGasket from here, Samco TIH, ECS pulleys, don't need an N75 with a MBC, 4 bar FPR only if you go with REVO 4 bar FPR program, and Peloquin LSD are my recommendations.

man, $60, price went up by $10. btw, is this mod really worth it? well, it's only $60, i undertand that, but like, does it do what it claims? the dyno claims about 10 hp, i know that's not true, but what am i to expect?
do you think an MBC is more "worht it" than a N75?
K

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

Someone actually had that gasket melt on cylinder one and prevented fuel from going into that cylinder.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (Nessal)

Quote, originally posted by Nessal »
Someone actually had that gasket melt on cylinder one and prevented fuel from going into that cylinder.

This was one isolated incident.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (ApexTuning)

Quote, originally posted by ApexTuning »

This was one isolated incident.

I could have sworn I read more then 1 guy that had problem with the gasket melting.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts

ya, cause im sure the guy didnt install it right, and probably did it half assed. If you installed it correctly, there shouldn't be any part of the gasket covering the intake port.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (Seanathan)

Quote, originally posted by Seanathan »

ya, cause im sure the guy didnt install it right, and probably did it half assed. If you installed it correctly, there shouldn't be any part of the gasket covering the intake port.

hmm, i hope that that's true... i'd really suck to be running crap with a whole cylinder blocked... i'm safe rite, just as long as the install goes well?
K

·
Banned
5,344 Posts

I could have sworn I read more then 1 guy that had problem with the gasket melting.
don't know about all that... but i'd like to see what those guys use a 'sealant' for their installs

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (turbovw18)

Quote, originally posted by turbovw18 »
don't know about all that... but i'd like to see what those guys use a 'sealant' for their installs

beat me too it...they guy in reference actually did one of the first write ups about the install...he was really happy untill the unfortunate happened...but, it doens't say anywhere to use any sealant or anything and he did, I figured that's why his melted...would make sense...and yes, it's the only accident of this nature with this product that I've seen....over 20K on my car without a problem http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (kilmer420)

Quote, originally posted by kilmer420 »

beat me too it...they guy in reference actually did one of the first write ups about the install...he was really happy untill the unfortunate happened...but, it doens't say anywhere to use any sealant or anything and he did, I figured that's why his melted...would make sense...and yes, it's the only accident of this nature with this product that I've seen....over 20K on my car without a problem http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

oh, so u've got one set up in your car... how do u like it? i'm assuming u can't "feel" a difference, but what about under the hood. cooler?
K

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

Had mine on for over 30K miles and a year. Intake manifold still gets as hot, just takes a lot longer to get there. If you aren't fully boosting and ripping on it, it will stay cooler. No problems with mine ever. And the instructions actually do say to use a high temp gasket sealant, but many don't. I did however.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (kilmer420)

Quote, originally posted by kilmer420 »

Actually, my instructions did say to use sealant. I wasn't going to use any, but I particularly read in the instructions to use some so......I still haven't had any melting issues. I've been running it for about 12k miles.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (supertom9903)

Quote, originally posted by supertom9903 »

Actually, my instructions did say to use sealant. I wasn't going to use any, but I particularly read in the instructions to use some so......I still haven't had any melting issues. I've been running it for about 12k miles.

damn, this is starting to bother me. i'm about to order one, but i don't know if i should... concerning the melting issue... maybe i'll ask the shop to put in for me... just seems like such an easy install, but such a high risk of mess'n up my car

K

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: HEY HELP: Needs some Performance Parts (VDUBNDizzy)

Quote, originally posted by VDUBNDizzy »
Had mine on for over 30K miles and a year. Intake manifold still gets as hot, just takes a lot longer to get there. If you aren't fully boosting and ripping on it, it will stay cooler. No problems with mine ever. And the instructions actually do say to use a high temp gasket sealant, but many don't. I did however.

had mine for about the same amount now...it's pretty much as stated above...if in traffic it does jack ish...if driving around it does cool, especially on the highway...I say worth the money...and I wouldn't use the sealant, I didn't and wont...just IMHO and preference
doing it yourself isn't that hard at all if you know how to screw and unscrew some bolts and that's just about it, just make sure not to drop them in
also, have a magnet extension just in case with ya...
if it does melt, it's not a huge deal, not like blowing a hole in the block...GL shouldn't take more than 30 min 45 at most...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1020839
http://www.izvw.com/

Modified by kilmer420 at 5:23 PM 5-20-2004

1 - 17 of 17 Posts