VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might know me from the mark 4 fourms, or eurghetto... well i'm tired of rubbing and I want air.
Right now i have patec pro race coilovers which i think will work fine with bags on them, but I want to check with you guys. Is there any measurements i should take to find out if they will be too tall? i want to lay bumper up front.
pretty much rat 4 life has the exact setup stance i want

but my wheels are 18x9 and 18x10.5 and i'm not changing them.

anyway heres a picture of my car so the thread gets clicked on

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Re: Hey i'm new in here (ryanmiller)

What size tires? Check the outside diameter of your front coils at the threads to see if an Aerosport bag will fit over it. I believe the inside of the bag is 2.14 on a caliper.
Maybe take springs off the front and rear and jack the wheel up in there to see what kinda problems or whatever you will run into http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Re: Hey i'm new in here (JB_1152)

gotta make sure ur fenders are rolled so you can tuck the fronts, or the fender may sit on the tire.
but your rears are obviously gonna sit on the quarter panel.
how far is your collar now from the top of the tire? cause thats pretty much where the bag will sit just compressed a lot more than the spring.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts

A lot of people have had success with aerosport fronts and firestone sleeve bags in the rear....or UVAIR Air house 2's in the rears
you will need a c-notch on the passenger side because the axles are not equil length and the passenger side hits the frame...drivers side is never an issue unless is rubs your swaybar...but who needs sways anyway..
The patec's should work just fine if they are "normal" diameter... 2.14" or less...measure it out with a caliper. Height wise they should be fine as well...

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Re: Hey i'm new in here (diive4sho)

the rears will work out fine i would say. you dont poke too much and i got the magic touch(flare). reag bag/muffler clearance. i

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Hey i'm new in here (PIFF)

thats the rears with no springs in em, tire was on the fender, but I want to pull them slightly
I'll go pull the spring out of the front real quick and see how low it goes before stuff hits

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

okay i yanked the fronts apart, this is the height with the shock totally bottomed out, no bump stop.. i know this because i put a rubber band on the shock shaft so it would get pushed up when i let the car down, and it was pushed to the top of the shaft.
anywho, I'm not sure if this is low enough for me.. seriously, i want the fender to hit the rim

I woudl really only need another 1/4 inch or so.. so it might be possible somehow.

This is how the coilover sits next to the wheel, and thats where i have my perch for my ride height now

I dont have a caliper, but the ID of this is very snug to the coilover, so a its roughly 2 1/4 diameter

·
Registered
9,644 Posts

that collar may have to be moved up to use the aerosports because they are almost 6 inches in diameter....might hit your tire...but since the collapse to 2" I don't think that will give you a height problem....Not using the stock upper bearing and bushing (using the one from UVAIR) will get you that extra 1/4" to sit on the rim....there is a lot of drop to be gotten from the upper mounts

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i re measured with a caliper and they are 1.858 OD

tape measure 0, caliper 1 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Soo.. where should I start looking to buy, and what should i buy?
I was thinking having 2 compressors mounted to the floor of the spare tire well, then having a saussage tank running longways over them, and the valves on either side..

but what do I know

Modified by ryanmiller at 7:37 PM 4-19-2008

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
nice diagram. lol..
But it may not fit quite like that depending on where the holes are in the tank, but i'm sure you'll be able to figure that out when you get it all the parts together and if you would've taken the car off the wood your bumper might have been on the ground or close to it, and then you could've been able to see how close your subframe/control arms would've been off the ground.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Santi)

Quote, originally posted by Santi »
nice diagram. lol..
.. if you would've taken the car off the wood your bumper might have been on the ground or close to it, and then you could've been able to see how close your subframe/control arms would've been off the ground.

How would i have jacked it up :X hahah

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Re: (ryanmiller)

Quote, originally posted by ryanmiller »

How would i have jacked it up :X hahah

driving it back up on the wood.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

vinny just sent me a spreadsheet that has all the parts i need.. is there any DIY's on installing a setup, like wiring and what lines go where

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Re: (ryanmiller)

i sent him and you the same one? did you not get the one i had sent you.
For wiring diagrams suicidedoors has one, and also a flow diagram of where lines connect.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts

yeah i was speaking to ryan the other night at a gtg i sent him the same excel speadsheet you had sent me. just tweeked for the compressors i planned for. why santi are you holdng out on me!

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Re: (PIFF)

Quote, originally posted by PIFF »
yeah i was speaking to ryan the other night at a gtg i sent him the same excel speadsheet you had sent me. just tweeked for the compressors i planned for. why santi are you holdng out on me!

oh alright.. werd.. btw i just got my new bags today, i wont have time to ptest fit them and such until thrusday, but i was gonna tell you to go w/ the firestone instead of the UVAIr, it'll be an easier install, and much better fit.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts

sick bro post up some pics installed.... why did you switch anywho

1 - 20 of 181 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.