VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy-
I have recently purchased a pair of Passats. Mine is an 08 sedan with the 3.6 motor and I bought the fiancee an 08 Lux wagon.
So far her wagon has been bullet proof.
I did read over the horror stories about the 3.6 motor...which is why I leased my sedan. I do love the car and had planned on purchasing it at the end of the lease but its developed a weird noise that i was hoping someone may be able to help with.
When the car has sat for a period of more than about 7 hours, there is a knock that comes from the motor on start up. It goes away in less than a second but it is noticeable.
the worst was when the car sat for 9 days while I was out of the country. When I started it up, it knocked LOUDLY for about 2 seconds before the noise went away. The car's oil is exactly where it should be and it has not affected driveability at all. Forgot to add...the car currently has 7900 miles on it.
The wagon does not make these noises. The last time I heard noises like this was on a 15 year old Plymouth Voyager minivan that i used to own that has 220,000 miles on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Modified by NovaPhoenix at 6:08 PM 9-14-2008

· Registered
7,158 Posts
So it sounds like it is a 3.6 issue. I honestly havent heard of anything like this... you might have to visit the dealership.. get it fixed now before more issue start to come up.
JT

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I do hope it's nothing serious. It'll be going into the stealership in the next few days.
I know when I had this issue with my poor battered minivan it was explained to me that it was an oil starvation problem caused by worn piston rings. On a Chrysler minivan with 220,000 miles on it that makes sense...but not on a 6 month old Passat with 8000 miles.
If anyone else has a theory, please let me know so I can share it with the dealer. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.