VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post but I have been around the forums for maybe a few months, just never posted. I must say that the people here seem really nice and skillful. If you guys don't mind I have a few questions that I would like to ask.
I am thinking about buying a 1983 VW Rabbit. I called the guy and we talked for a while and he told me the following information about the Rabbit:
Work done on:
- Muffler
- Read shocks
- New Battery
- Fuel pump
- Windshield
- All lights intact
- No leaks what-so-ever
The current engine is a Scirocco 1.8
It needs front shocks to be looked an and electrical work. There is a small dent in the door.
With the Rabbit he is also giving me a lot of parts, the stock '83 Rabbit engine, transmission and a buch of other parts. The Scirroco has about 200 000km on it and the stock engine has about 100 000km. The guy wants $950CND for it but he said he'll part with it for around $800CND.
If I buy this car, I would - obviously - want to do performance upgrades to it. I want to be able to baet all those ricers out there

What engine should I put in instead of the old Scirocco one? Someone recommended a 1.8T but someone else said that it is too expensive, then he recommended a 2.0L. Which engine should I put in, and which is best for this type of performance:
---NONE---SOME---[[[MEDIUM]]]---SUPER DUPER---
So basically I will want my Rabbit to be a medium performance car, keep in mind the beating of the ricers.
Thanks for reading this message and have a nice day.
P.S. How much money did you invest in your car?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: Hi everyone, I have a few questions. (ahsm57)

Make sure the car is in good shape (suspension, creature comforts, etc.) before you invest time and money in an engine swap. Fix up anything that's broken, and catch up on the general maintenance first.
A 1.8L engine in good tune can be quite zippy in a light weight Rabbit. It might not win drag races, but it will get you to work and school and back home. And with good maintenance, they run basically forever and get decent fuel mileage.
If you really want to do an engine swap, putting an Audi 3A block (2.0L) under the 1.8L counterflow head is an easy upgrade that gives you some decent power. It's not much heavier than the 1.8L engine when you get finished, and it runs decent. You either need the knock sensor system, or you need to run mid grade to premium fuel, though. The 3A block runs 10:1 compression.
Beyond that, a 16V engine makes more power, but is kind of peeky and likes high RPM's. A 2.0L ABA crossflow is decent for power and torque, but a little more difficult to swap in. And turbos turn money into smoke in a hurry, but they are expensive.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Hi everyone, I have a few questions. (Racer_X)

First of all, Racer_X I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread. There are a few things I didn't understand from your post, if you - or someone else- doesn't mind clearing them up for me, please do.
"...putting an Audi 3A block (2.0L) under the 1.8L counterflow head is an easy upgrade..."
What is the counterflow head? What do you mean put the 3A block under?
"You either need the knock sensor system..."
What is the sensor system?
"...a 16V engine makes more power, but is kind of peeky and likes high RPM's..."
What do you mean it is peeky? Is it bad if it likes high RPM's?
"A 2.0L ABA crossflow..."
What is a 2.0L ABA crossflow?
"...turbos turn money into smoke in a hurry, but they are expensive..."
What do you mean turn money into smoke?

·
Registered
310 Posts

Ahh, racer X is the man for newbs like us teenagers just looking to get into the game.
One tip I can tell you is get a rabbit with no rust, cuz as a high skool junior I don't have the time or money to do real extensive body work.
Quote, originally posted by ahsm57 »
"...a 16V engine makes more power, but is kind of peeky and likes high RPM's..."

He means it's poor on low-end power, and about turbos, they do some good stuff with the car, and are lots of fun, but sometimes they can screw you over, as I learned from my cuz, but that's a long story.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

First of all, Racer_X I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread. There are a few things I didn't understand from your post, if you - or someone else- doesn't mind clearing them up for me, please do.
"...putting an Audi 3A block (2.0L) under the 1.8L counterflow head is an easy upgrade..."

Are you serious? No offense, but I would have thought you might have picked some of this stuff up if you've been hanging around for a couple months... To answer a few of your questions:
-He meant putting the 1.8 counterflow heads on the Audi 3A block.
-Simply, the knock sensor prevents knock, or pre-spark detonation.
-Peeky just means that most of it's power is made in the higher RPM range, whereas an 8v would have more low-end torque.
-The 2.0L ABA is the base engine out of an A3.
-To simplify, turbos are quite spendy, but can give you lots of performance.
EDIT: A good engine swap site: http://www.volkswagen.org/EngineSwap/Default.htm

Modified by lazydog108 at 7:39 PM 9-22-2004

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

The counterflow head is the 8V head you have now. It has both the intake and the exhaust manifold on the back. That's different from the crossflow head on the ABA engine, where the intake manifold is on the front and the exhaust manifold is on the back.
What I mean by put the 3A block under your head is get the Audi 3A short block (from an Audi 80), strip it down to just the block, crank, rods, pistons and the bearings associated with those parts. Now, start putting the parts from your Rabbit engine on the Audi block. When you get everything transfered from your 1.8L to the 2.0L Audi block, you'll have a 2.0L Rabbit engine that fits perfectly.

The knock sensor system is some special electronics for the ignition system that listens for pinging from the engine and adjusts the timing to stop the knocking/pinging. It lets you run lower octane fuel without the engine pinging and destroying itself. Without the knock sensor system, the 10:1 engines need 91 octane minimum (premium fuel). With the knock sensor, you can run 89 octane (or even 87 octane, but performance will be reduced to compensate for the poor quality fuel).

It depends on how you drive. The 16V engines make great power above 5,000 RPM's. From 2000 to 4000 RPM's they aren't much more powerful than a well tuned 8V engine in the same engine speed range. And since the 16V engine is heavier, the performance of the car overall isn't as good until you really get the engine revved up.

That's the 2.0L engine from a 1993-1998 A3 Golf or Jetta (or the newer 2.0L A4 cars).

Well, turbos are finicky. It's easy to burn pistons and other vital engine parts if you aren't careful or make a mistake. And most people try to get more power by increasing the boost beyond what the fuel and the engine can safely handle. That's an easy way to burn through the piston or otherwise destroy the engine quickly. Getting a turbo set up properly takes a lot of work and a lot of money. And mistakes are very costly when you blow the engine up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.