VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, like I said I have a 2006 Volkswagen Beetle. Over the last week we just replaced my battery and my alternator. Original problem: burning smell, coming from under the hood. Smelled as if it was overheating radiator. Pulled into nearest gas station and looked under the hood and saw smoke billowing around the battery. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and then drove to the nearest AutoZone. The employee looked at the battery and there was battery acid underneath the battery and underneath the cap. We replaced the battery and then did a test on the alternator. The alternator showed that it was not any good and that it was the voltage regulator causing the problem. We replaced the alternator and then drove it back to AutoZone to test it again. Came up with the test came back showing the same result, however while we were waiting for one of the guys to come out, my boyfriend looked at a case that was above the battery with approximately 6 wires going into it and one wire coming out of it and going into the positive terminal. One of the wires had burned up inside the case. We connected that wire correctly and that solved the problem. The meter that they use at AutoZone read the problem as being a faulty regulator when all it was was a disconnected wire. In other words the alternator was replaced when it didn't need to be so definitely if you think there's something wrong with your alternator check these wires first!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone, like I said I have a 2006 Volkswagen Beetle. Over the last week we just replaced my battery and my alternator. Original problem: burning smell, coming from under the hood. Smelled as if it was overheating radiator. Pulled into nearest gas station and looked under the hood and saw smoke billowing around the battery. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and then drove to the nearest AutoZone. The employee looked at the battery and there was battery acid underneath the battery and underneath the cap. We replaced the battery and then did a test on the alternator. The alternator showed that it was not any good and that it was the voltage regulator causing the problem. We replaced the alternator and then drove it back to AutoZone to test it again. While we were waiting for one of the guys to come out, my boyfriend noticed a case that was above the battery with approximately 6 wires going into it, and one wire coming out of it going into the positive terminal. One of the wires had burned up inside the case. When the employee came out we had him do the alternator test exactly as it was without the newly found wire realization correction being a part of it. The test showed the same result as it did before replacing the alternator, "bad voltage regulator" "bad alternator". We then began the test again, NOW....everything tested good! In other words the alternator was replaced when it didn't need to be so definitely if you think there's something wrong with your alternator check these wires first! I have a picture, I will try to attach, being new I will have to investigate this process so if you don't see a pic, kindly leave me attachment directions and I will attach the pic. Good luck to all, and I will most likely be asking for help from you folks at sometime..also, my boyfriend now has experience in removing and replacing the alternator so feel free to ask us for any advice on that matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moderator, the second post is the post I would like to use. I didn't see any options for correcting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts