VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, lets try this thread again. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO ADD TO THIS THREAD, STAY OUT!
So I swapped my HID kit from my MK4 look lights in my Jetta to the H4 headlights in my Jeep. The Jeep lenses were converted to the H4 style from sealed beam.
Now, they both worked on Sunday, but now the passanger side bulb is completely shot. When the lights are turned on, the pass side bulb produces a small flash, but never turns on. The driver side light is fine....BUT, the beam pattern is horrible. It is not blinding on-coming traffic, but is also NOT giving me any good light output, so I think they will be removed unless Nick suggests using the rebased H4 bulbs. If he thinks they will result in better lighting, then I'm ALL for it. Otherwise I will be forced to revert back to halogen lighting on my Jeep.
Here are the after-install pics. If functioning properly, they look GREAT! As you can see in the pics, the 6000K bulb (the one working well on the driver side) looks great, but doesn't get the light to the road well.
If I get a chance, I will try and get some night pics.
Please post ANY helpful suggestions here! Thx!!

·
Registered
47,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (converted_vw)

Quote, originally posted by converted_vw »
well you already know the obvious about the beam pattern
So you might want to consider the Sylvania Xenarc X6054 which is a complete HID system, bulbs, ballast, and housings minus the high beams.
http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/prodinfo.htm

Modified by converted_vw at 9:23 AM 7-2-2003

Yeah, I'm aware of the mods required for the beam setup......I just need to know what to do about getting that pass side bulb working.
I'll check that out......as long as it is not too expensive......money is super tight!

·
Registered
47,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (gsantelli)

I just did a search on Google to see who is offering that kit and for how much.......lowest I found it for was $439 shipped.......headlights, ballasts, ballast brackets, wiring harness, and other install hardware.
Seams like a good deal considering its Sylvania.
Anyone else agree or have comments? If I have to get that set, I will have to sell my current H7 Kit, so let me know.
Thx!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

G, try this. Take the ballast from the driver's side and use it on the passenger side. Sounds like the ignitor works, but the ballast isn't supplying the voltage to keep the gas lit.
If anything, that'll help you narrow down where the problem lies. If it works, then it's the ballast. If it still doesn't work, probably the bulb. HTH. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
47,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (FATurbo)

Ok...I'll do that again.....thx! That is the same test I did when I tested to see if it was the ballast or the bulb upon initial install causing the discolored appearance.. Seems like I got the same results from each ballast using the same bulb. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

How about chaging the bulb from side to side as well. That way you would know if it is something to do with the headlight it self. When I had my color difference from side to side, the problem was in the projector and not the bulbs or the ballasts.
As far as getting the other kit, I wouldn't. I thought you were just throwing in this kit in the jeep because now you had an extra kit. If now you start buying more things for it, then it defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Re: (Bugging55)

Yeah, it sounds like it might be the housing or the bulb causing the discoloration. But try the ballast change, see what happens with the lighting problem. And then try swapping bulbs for the discoloration issue. Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
47,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Bugging55)

Quote, originally posted by Bugging55 »
How about chaging the bulb from side to side as well. That way you would know if it is something to do with the headlight it self. When I had my color difference from side to side, the problem was in the projector and not the bulbs or the ballasts.
As far as getting the other kit, I wouldn't. I thought you were just throwing in this kit in the jeep because now you had an extra kit. If now you start buying more things for it, then it defeats the purpose.

The color issue is not one related to the housing......its something to do with the bulb itself. It doesn't light up like the other one does.
Your right.......I'm just gonna forget the whole idea of putting HID's in the Jeep. I've already spent TOO much money on it with maintenance repairs........just put in a new exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I was having the same kinda problem until i replaced my 12V 30amp relay.....difference is like night and day
I don't know much about all this lighting stuff but I know enough to get around, after tracking down a relay and poping it in, problem solved....just an idea for ya....maybe swap side and see if that helps?

·
Registered
47,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Johnny G)

Quote, originally posted by Johnny G »
I was having the same kinda problem until i replaced my 12V 30amp relay.....difference is like night and day
I don't know much about all this lighting stuff but I know enough to get around, after tracking down a relay and poping it in, problem solved....just an idea for ya....maybe swap side and see if that helps?

You think it could be a relay issue?

·
Administrator
87,828 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gsantelli »

You think it could be a relay issue?

The thing about it being a relay issue is that either the relay will work or it won't work.
So then your capsule will ignite or not ignite...THERE IS NO IN-BETWEEN.
There could be a severe voltage problem w/in the ballast itself which *could* cause a color shift like this. I say this b/c I had a voltage problem myself and the bulb (while it didn't look like yours at all) had a "more white" look to it and actually failed to "burn in" with the other bulb. Eventually the ballast failed. In your case it sounds like your bulb now DOES NOT IGNITE, right? It flashes and doesn't ignite???
Sounds like the bulb is shot. I mean, it seems like the ballast is getting voltage to the bulb to *try* and ignite it...hmmmm...
I'm on aim right now (nfe100) if you wanna talk about it. Until about 4:15 then I gotta install my injectors.
Later,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts