VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read somewhere (probably here) that cars equiped with OEM HIDs have a timer built into the system that will keep your HIDs on for you for a certain amount of time (like 5 minutes or whatever I think). This is supposed to keep your lights on in case you go to a convinience store and you are goint to be like two minutes, so that when you start your car again you don't have to re-ignite the HIDs while they are still hot.
I am interested in doing something like this for my car. I find that I am staying in the car or keep the car on (but locked) when I go into a convinince store or movie rental place (in which case I send someone else
) so that I don't have to turn off my HIDs. It a real pain in the arse!

It would be really nice also for when you get gas for instance. I would like to put a timer in my car that you can turn of as well so that if you know you are going to be longer than 5 minutes, you just turn the timer off.
I don't think that this is very hard to do (although I am not sure how to yet) but my questions would be,
1. Has anybody heard of these timers?
2. Does anybody know how long they keep the lights on for?
3. Has anybody done this with their retros?
TIA

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Re: HID timer to keep your lights on. Anybody know? (Bugging55)

i agree with you that this would be a good idea i would like to do that to,
on the other hand i have had my plug and plays for 2 years now with on and off use and no problem (knock wood)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HID timer to keep your lights on. Anybody know? (eurojet)

quote:[HR][/HR]i agree with you that this would be a good idea i would like to do that to,
on the other hand i have had my plug and plays for 2 years now with on and off use and no problem (knock wood)[HR][/HR]​
I hear its quite bad on the ballasts to turn on the lights while they are hot. Something like it takes a lot more cuurent to turn them on and it stresses the ballasts. What may happen is that with time you toast the ballasts.
Hopefully not, but I don't want to take chances.
Doesn't anyone know anything about this???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.