VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed few people are working on the HID retrofit so I made a diagram how to connect them.

The diagram should be self explanatory, but if not, I will try to explain. To connect the HIDs to stock halogen harness the 10-12 pin adapter is required. Pin 11 of each HID needs to be connected to CECM: pin 11 of left lamp to pin D/6 and pin 11 of right lamp to pin A/5. The easiest way is to get the repair wire, cut it into two pieces, plug them to the CECM, solder two wires to the repair ones, run these two wires through the firewall to the headlights and solder them to the pin 11 in the adapters.
IT IS ENOUGH to have the HIDs working (of course after VAG-COM programming in the hi-line CECM).
For anybody considering auto-leveling: Kufatec has the harness, but I would request them to extend it by 3ft (1m) at the controller plug side. Otherwise you will not be able to install the controller in the designated place (over glove box). You can do it by yourself but it means soldering tons of wires (been there, done that). Apart from harness, you need two complete sensors and controller to make it work.

Part numbers for the 12-10 pin adapters:
12 pin plug: 1J0 941 165
This plug has 8 pins 1.5mm and 4 pins 2.8mm as far as I recall.
Service wire for 12 pin plug (1.5mm): 000 979 131 E
Service wire for 12 pin plug (2.8mm): 000 979 225 E
10 pin plug: 1J0 973 835
This plug has all 10 pins 2.8mm.
Service wire for 10 pin plug (2.8mm): 000 979 226 E

Modified by maloosheck at 6:20 PM 2-1-2010

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Outstanding contribution as always. FAQ-worthy; added.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Re: HID wiring in the mk5 w/halogens (maloosheck)

Quote, originally posted by maloosheck »
Apart from harness, you need two complete sensors and controller to make it work.

Do you have the part# for the controller and sensors?
Excellent work http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (blakjetta)

Quote, originally posted by edisonr »
Do you have the part# for the controller and sensors?

Front sensor: 1K0 941 274 B
Bolt: N 010 287 3
Nut: N 102 058 02
Rear sensor: 1K0 941 273 G
Bolts (5x): N 104 301 01
Rivetted cup nuts (5x): N 105 977 01
Headlight Range Control Module: 1T0 907 357
Bolts (2x): unknown
I recommend junk-yard as the new parts are quite expensive.
Quote, originally posted by blakjetta »
what adapter is this?

This is 10-to-12 pin adapter. The 10-pin plug side to be precise that you need to connect to the existing harness in your car. You can also see on the picture the end of the wire coming out of the pin 11 from the 12-pin plug.

Modified by maloosheck at 7:58 PM 12-19-2007

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Re: (maloosheck)

This is 10-to-12 pin adapter. The 10-pin plug side to be precise that you need to connect to the existing harness in your car. You can also see on the picture the end of the wire coming out of the pin 11 from the 12-pin plug.

its this one right? I see the wire is there already, will this wire be the one that needs to go to the cecm d/6,a/5?

Modified by blakjetta at 3:30 PM 12-19-2007

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

its this one right? I see the wire is there already, will this wire be the one that needs to go to the cecm d/6,a/5?

Precisely. To be honest I am really surprised why they sell it without the whole harness. It would be just longer wires and two contacts at the end...

Modified by maloosheck at 3:38 PM 12-19-2007

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Precisely. To be honest I am really surprised why they sell it without the whole harness. It would be just longer wires and two contacts at the end...

Modified by maloosheck at 3:38 PM 12-19-2007

and the wires with the two contacts at the end can be bought at VW, is it the same wire that I got for the trigger for the rear fog right?

Modified by blakjetta at 4:28 PM 12-19-2007

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

and the wires with the two contacts at the end can be bought at VW, is it the same wire that I got for the trigger for the rear fog right?

no. different plug and different contact size. the part no. is on the drawing.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

no. different plug and different contact size. the part no. is on the drawing.

ahh..ok the one I need is VW 000 979 025 and the trigger wire for the fog is
VW 000 979 009....sorry. Thanks Michal!!!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Question: has anyone tried to install the HIDs with mid-line/low-line CECM?
AFAIK the hi-line CECM is required for the front fogs ONLY.

I can try it with mine...right now I have the FK angel eyes with the drop in HID kit, at first I had forgotten to change the settings with vag-com so they flickered like crazy. I then went and checked "Xenon w/out shutters installed" and they worked ever since without problems. I did not get the light out indicator at all. There was a setting "xenon with shutters installed" on there so maybe it will work.
I liked the hid's so much I want to go OEM now...plus the driver side bulb shakes a little, unknown if it is the housing or the actual bulb, another reason I want to go OEM.

Modified by blakjetta at 9:00 PM 12-19-2007

·
Registered
248 Posts

I can try it with mine...right now I have the FK angel eyes with the drop in HID kit, at first I had forgotten to change the settings with vag-com so they flickered like crazy. I then went and checked "Xenon w/out shutters installed" and they worked ever since without problems. I did not get the light out indicator at all. There was a setting "xenon with shutters installed" on there so maybe it will work.
I liked the hid's so much I want to go OEM now...plus the driver side bulb shakes a little, unknown if it is the housing or the actual bulb, another reason I want to go OEM.

Modified by blakjetta at 9:00 PM 12-19-2007

Guys, I just got an HID kit as a gift. It's a generic H7 drop in kit along with harness for the universal h7 connectors. I found out today that VW changed the MKV harness on the lights from the standard harness. Thoughts?? Anyone out in Vortex land put in a generic h7 HID kit in their MKV?

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Re: (blakjetta)

Can they be added without the autoleveling? just the HIDS?

Yes. Just skip the whole auto-leveling part: harness, sensors, control module. All you need to do is to wire xenon shutters from CCCM to adapters.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Re: Re: (maloosheck)

Yes. Just skip the whole auto-leveling part: harness, sensors, control module. All you need to do is to wire xenon shutters from CCCM to adapters.

Can someone elaborate or point me in the right direction on how to wire these up so that you can use the shutters?

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Re: (JAK-RBT)

Quote, originally posted by JAK-RBT »
Can someone elaborate or point me in the right direction on how to wire these up so that you can use the shutters?

Take the diagram above and remove ALL RED wiring. Take a look at it again and post the question.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.