VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,
I am planning on purchasing HIDs for my gti and i was wondering what should i do. i probably want to have them professionaly installed because i dont want to take the chance and break something. so my question would be, what sort of place would install them.
also, should i buy them online and go to a place to have them installed or are there places that sell them and i can buy and have it installed. also, could i go through the dealer as well? any input would be great.
-thanks

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: HIDs for gti 2003 vr6 (craigmack4)

You can install them very easily...just remove the front bumper which takes a minute or two and unscrew the lights...easy...just make sure you get them from a place that includes the 12 to 10 connector...

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Re: (craigmack4)

Quote, originally posted by craigmack4 »
could i go through the dealer?

yes........ you could have the dealer install them
it would cost a little more$$$, but if they are OEM HID's then they prolly would cover them under warranty as well

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had mine professionally installed and they had to cut a hole on the back headlight covers to run the wires from the ballisters. Then the put some kind of sticky putty around the wires where they go through the covers on both sides so moisture doesn't get in. So far I've had no problems with them
Paid 500 for everything.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Re: HIDs for gti 2003 vr6 (craigmack4)

I can get you 2003 OEM HID with the 12-10 pin adapters. Let me know and I'll email the full details with pleasure. I've sold many sets and have lots of credentials on this board.
OEM HID will have a much cleaner install than an aftermarket kit, especially the new 2003 models with the integrated ballasts. No wiring going around or drilling or anything like that. The install is very straighforward - remove bumper, replace headlight, plug the HIDs with the adapter harnesses, put bumper back on, align carefully with special instructions - et voilà!
Dealerships can install them as well, but I doubt they'll cover the parts on warranty. They don't cover parts they don't sell, whether it is an aftermarket HID kit or even OEM VW HIDs. Why? Because these aren't even listed on the North American parts listing - it's not available at any dealership around.
If you choose to do it yourself, the only thing that can break if you're not careful are the horizontal & vertical alignment mechanisms/screws. If you force them, they can snap and then you're in problems. If you're delicate with them, you have no problems to anticipate.
Here's a pic of OEM HID on my GTI - there's more in my sig:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Re: (dreams911s)

Quote, originally posted by dreams911s »
do you happen to work at circit city?

I work hard but I don't work at circuit city

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
I got my hids of TRBO-GTI. he is great to deal with and will give you a great price.
Also when it comes to install you really can do it yourself. like mentioned its a matter of removeing the front bumper removing 4 screw per light. and pluging the new lights in and screw it done. thats all that needs to be done.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Re: (Sawdust)

I WANT!!!

all you guys who have HIDs... i see that the headlight unit has 2 indicators where the normal ones has only 1... when the blinkers are on do both of them light up? and there's no more fog lights hey...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: (Sawdust)

Quote, originally posted by Sawdust »
I got my hids of TRBO-GTI. he is great to deal with and will give you a great price.
Also when it comes to install you really can do it yourself. like mentioned its a matter of removeing the front bumper removing 4 screw per light. and pluging the new lights in and screw it done. thats all that needs to be done.

also need to disable the drl's and change the 15amp fuse to a 30. A euro switch is also a good idea along with manual/automatic leveling http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: (Evensnowdies)

Quote, originally posted by Evensnowdies »

also need to disable the drl's and change the 15amp fuse to a 30. A euro switch is also a good idea along with manual/automatic leveling http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

What's drls?
Does automatic leveling requires HID's ECU? The only OEM HID kit that comes with level sensors and ECU, as far as I remember, is TMTuning's one. Is that right?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Re: (Shad)

drl is the daytime running light, if u dun disable it, the headlight turns on everytime u start the engine ( hand brake set off of course)

if u disable it u will have to turn on the switch in order to turn on the headlight http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
it's a good way to have a longer life for ur headlight

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: (craigmack4)

what would be the price difference if the HIDs were bought in Germany vs the States?
I'm also curious about the auto leveling mentioned above.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Re: (Oltorf)

I just picked up a set of OE HID's from TRBO-GTI. Custom work for the connectors is A-1 and he's extremely helpful if you have any questions about installation. IM him I'm sure he'll be more than happy to hook you up with a brand new set. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Here's my new set, not even installed yet, just got them yesterday night:

custom connector plugs:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Re: (Oltorf)

Quote, originally posted by Oltorf »
what would be the price difference if the HIDs were bought in Germany vs the States?
I'm also curious about the auto leveling mentioned above.

Good luck! Unless you find a wholesaler over there (hard to find), you'll pay about the double if you walk in to a VW dealership in Germany (2,000 euros). Why so much? VW does not want them to be sold and aftermarket installed. Regulations on cars are very tight in Germany and every modification you do yourself must be TUV approved and have paper certification in the car. And I mean every mod up to a rear hatch spoiler.
Since the HIDs can cause glare to drivers and become dangerous, the prices in dealerships are raised to discourage people from buying them and installing them at home instead of at the factory.
The autoleveling is also a complicated story. You need an ECU and sensors at one front wheel and one rear wheel, and wire everything up with you car ECU and the motors. Expensive and useless, you ask me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts