VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question may be dumb, but what is the difference between Normal Car lights like 9007, or H7 bulbs and HID 600$ bulbs? I hear it has a lower wattage but higher output, but what makes them so expensive? I LOVE the way projection style headlights with Audi style purlple/blue lights look, but im still confnused on why its so expensive!
THanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Re: HIDS , Why Buy? (user name unknown)

Well the cost comes in part from the research and design of the part, and the the cost of materials and production. I think it is safe to say that the design and construction alone in the HID's are far more expensive due to the basic technologies used, i.e. projection lighting etc, versus standard relector based technologies with a standard bulb. Not to mention the much more complex systems required for HID technology, ignitors etc.....The result? I much more focused, refined beam pattern, and a much more daylight apperance of your view in the dark .vs standard "yellowish" halogen lighting....
hope I helped somewhat...

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: HIDS , Why Buy? (VRSic)

Incadescent lighting...around for 175 years.
High intensity gas discharge lamps arcing high voltage current across a tungsten source in a xenon gas environment...IN a tiny automotive application...not that new.
"Early adoption" is never cheap. Look at plasma TV's today...same principle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts