VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my after it's been off for a while (over an hour at least) it idles at almost 2500 rpm
. If I let it sit, it takes a long time to slow down. If I drive for a few minutes, it gradually slows down to around 1500 rpm, and after maybe ten minutes, to the normal 750 rpm. For the first few minutes, the car actually idles fast enough to pull the car without touching the gas pedal! I have to keep a foot on the brake when backing out of a parking space. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It's been doing this for a long time now. Also, the outside temperature doesn't affect it; this happened during the summer as well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: High Idle (matt007)

I think my cat is fine. The exhaust smells fine, and I only get a little bit of oil smoke when I start, and that's only when it's cold out.

·
Registered
29,513 Posts
Re: High Idle (garbage)

This is in your 93 Mazda? So it's OBDI right..... hmmmmm

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Re: High Idle (Silly_me)

Hmm, next time it does it, rev it to about 4500 or so and then let it settle back down. See if it falls to "normal" or to 2500 again.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

OBDI is On Board Diagnostics, OBDII is standard on all cars 1996 and newer. It has more sensors, monitors more stuff, etc.

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
Re: High Idle (Crazyquik)

ya but on OBDI you can pull the codes by hand generally without tools. Maybe you should try a Mazda BB and see if they know how to pull the codes by hand. Or there used to be some good a cartalk.com that knew in their BB but I stoped reading there long ago.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: High Idle (landrumdh)

my civic does that too. i thought it was just for warming up the cat or something.
it used to do it around 1500, now it's gone up, but mine seems to happen with the weather (unlike yours...)... since it's november now... and it's really cold. it does it in the morning...
i don't think it's anything you should worry about.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts

It sounds like the throttle linkage is binding somewhere.
The problem on the Jetta above is the same - is it drive-by-wire? The little spring that returns the servo to idle isn't very strong. I had that problem on my 2K VR6 for awhile. It went away with lots of use. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: High Idle (nsadhal)

quote:[HR][/HR]my civic does that too. i thought it was just for warming up the cat or something.
it used to do it around 1500, now it's gone up, but mine seems to happen with the weather (unlike yours...)... since it's november now... and it's really cold. it does it in the morning...
i don't think it's anything you should worry about.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, I'm not overly worried about it, it's just kind of annoying. I wouldn't mind being able to back out of my parking space without the car rocketing accross the drive way. I probably wouldn't spend any money to fix it, but if it's something I could take car of myself I'd do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts