VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the 1.4 TSI has been out in North America for a few years, I'm sure there are some with high mileage. Where are you at with your 1.4 TSI and what repairs, if any have been made? We came from a 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SE to a 2020 Jetta 1.4 TSI S / 8 speed auto and are loving the drivetrain so far.

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
491 Posts
Since the 1.4 TSI has been out in North America for a few years, I'm sure there are some with high mileage. Where are you at with your 1.4 TSI and what repairs, if any have been made? We came from a 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SE to a 2020 Jetta 1.4 TSI S / 8 speed auto and are loving the drivetrain so far.
I know quite a few people way over 100k miles. They have only replaced a few little things.

I’m currently at 47k lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know quite a few people way over 100k miles. They have only replaced a few little things.

I’m currently at 47k lol

That is good to hear! Do these have water pump issues like the ea888? Our 1.8 TSI started leaking around 30K miles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a 2016 VW Jetta S with a 5 speed manual with 138k on the clock. So far since I had my car and I paid for an extended warranty because I do a little over a hundred miles a day.

With that history, these are the issues I had and I believe some of these were updated, or were just a fault in my car alone.

Ok, so I had a check engine light come on within the first 50 miles which was due to some brake issue, which they resolved with a computer update. No issues after that.

My seat broke with like 2000 miles on it, they fixed it no problem.

At around 40k, I had a boost sensor that went bad, put my car into limp mode. Had that fixed and no issues since then.

At 63k, my passenger front strut mount bearing went bad and they replaced that under my extended warranty.

I thought this was an issue, but later found out it was completely normal and I think the dealership had no idea of the feature as well, but when it rains and your wipers are at any speed, when you come up to a red light or stop sign and stop, your wipers will essentially stop and wipe every 20 seconds. That is a feature I believe to prolong the life of your wiper motor and wipers. Give it a try, pretty cool after they replaced my wiper motor and it still did it.

At 89k, I had a lean code that was P2178. This was a nightmare for me and the dealership. My car was in and out of the dealership for a month or two. Now it didn’t cost me a dime, but if I didn’t have my warranty, this would’ve cost a little over 3000 dollars in parts and labor. The P2178 is a lean code. They first changed my spark plugs and coil packs, which resolved the issue for a week or two, then it came back which resulted in them replacing my fuel pump, issue came back within 100 miles, dropped the car off again and told the service advisor to drive the car and take it home and do whatever he had to do to figure out the light. They had it for two weeks and changed the fuel pressure regulator, to no avail the light came back. Finally, they took it back again, it escalated to corporate and had some technician over the phone reading the values, and saw my injectors weren’t running efficiently and replaced them. At that time I also asked them to inspect my valves due to DI problems and to my surprise, they were clean and the tech showed them to me. The injectors were replaced with a “revised” part number and it hasn’t been an issue since then. This was my single most disheartening issue with my car.

At 103k, I paid for the timing belt to be done. I didn’t replace my water pump due to it being on the other side of the motor and at 138k(present time), it hasn’t leaked yet. The water pump alone is the most expensive part of the whole timing job and I left it alone because I can do it myself when it starts leaking.

At 109k, my struts and shocks were going bad, I brought it in and they replaced them under warranty.

And that’s about it. My cousin has a 2018 Jetta SE, and he has a little over 70k, and to my best knowledge, he hasn’t had a problem yet. So I think it’s just me and my high level of wear and tear and also having a brand new car and motor, I was working all the kinks out for everyone else.

So now at 138k, what’s my opinion on my car? I love it and even with those issues, I wouldn’t have bought any other car except maybe went with Passat or Tiguan for the interior space because I’m a family man now with 3 kids and a wife. I’ve done multiple trips to Florida, Lake George, Maryland, Delaware, DC, and other places and my car has consistently got excellent gas mileage upwards of 38 to 44mpg due to the areas and mountains around it. I do get on my car from time to time and it’s been tuned with APR stage 1 since 122k and it’s been fine. I’ve done spark plugs, air filters, oil, tires, brakes, and transmission fluid changes when they were suppose to be done and really can’t complain. The car idles smooth and to this day, I don’t have any creaks or odd noises I can’t find. It’s a really great car. I wish you good luck with your car, the new Jetta’s are really nice and I hope to get a GLI next time around.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2016 VW Jetta S with a 5 speed manual with 138k on the clock. So far since I had my car and I paid for an extended warranty because I do a little over a hundred miles a day.

With that history, these are the issues I had and I believe some of these were updated, or were just a fault in my car alone.

Ok, so I had a check engine light come on within the first 50 miles which was due to some brake issue, which they resolved with a computer update. No issues after that.

My seat broke with like 2000 miles on it, they fixed it no problem.

At around 40k, I had a boost sensor that went bad, put my car into limp mode. Had that fixed and no issues since then.

At 63k, my passenger front strut mount bearing went bad and they replaced that under my extended warranty.

I thought this was an issue, but later found out it was completely normal and I think the dealership had no idea of the feature as well, but when it rains and your wipers are at any speed, when you come up to a red light or stop sign and stop, your wipers will essentially stop and wipe every 20 seconds. That is a feature I believe to prolong the life of your wiper motor and wipers. Give it a try, pretty cool after they replaced my wiper motor and it still did it.

At 89k, I had a lean code that was P2178. This was a nightmare for me and the dealership. My car was in and out of the dealership for a month or two. Now it didn’t cost me a dime, but if I didn’t have my warranty, this would’ve cost a little over 3000 dollars in parts and labor. The P2178 is a lean code. They first changed my spark plugs and coil packs, which resolved the issue for a week or two, then it came back which resulted in them replacing my fuel pump, issue came back within 100 miles, dropped the car off again and told the service advisor to drive the car and take it home and do whatever he had to do to figure out the light. They had it for two weeks and changed the fuel pressure regulator, to no avail the light came back. Finally, they took it back again, it escalated to corporate and had some technician over the phone reading the values, and saw my injectors weren’t running efficiently and replaced them. At that time I also asked them to inspect my valves due to DI problems and to my surprise, they were clean and the tech showed them to me. The injectors were replaced with a “revised” part number and it hasn’t been an issue since then. This was my single most disheartening issue with my car.

At 103k, I paid for the timing belt to be done. I didn’t replace my water pump due to it being on the other side of the motor and at 138k(present time), it hasn’t leaked yet. The water pump alone is the most expensive part of the whole timing job and I left it alone because I can do it myself when it starts leaking.

At 109k, my struts and shocks were going bad, I brought it in and they replaced them under warranty.

And that’s about it. My cousin has a 2018 Jetta SE, and he has a little over 70k, and to my best knowledge, he hasn’t had a problem yet. So I think it’s just me and my high level of wear and tear and also having a brand new car and motor, I was working all the kinks out for everyone else.

So now at 138k, what’s my opinion on my car? I love it and even with those issues, I wouldn’t have bought any other car except maybe went with Passat or Tiguan for the interior space because I’m a family man now with 3 kids and a wife. I’ve done multiple trips to Florida, Lake George, Maryland, Delaware, DC, and other places and my car has consistently got excellent gas mileage upwards of 38 to 44mpg due to the areas and mountains around it. I do get on my car from time to time and it’s been tuned with APR stage 1 since 122k and it’s been fine. I’ve done spark plugs, air filters, oil, tires, brakes, and transmission fluid changes when they were suppose to be done and really can’t complain. The car idles smooth and to this day, I don’t have any creaks or odd noises I can’t find. It’s a really great car. I wish you good luck with your car, the new Jetta’s are really nice and I hope to get a GLI next time around.

Glad to hear of your mostly positive experience.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
17 Jetta 1.4T 5speed. Had it since 40 miles and so far all I’ve done is spark plugs at 70k miles and oil changes.
Now at 107k miles running strong being revved out to redline

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Jetta S 1.4TSI and have just hit 186,000KM (115,000 Miles), Car is still running strong. Always changed plugs every 40,000km as per VW and Oil Changes every 5,000-7,000km. As far as repairs go, just standard maintenance stuff for the most part besides the Front Passenger side wheel bearing that went around 130,000km, and the heater/Fan resistor which only allowed me fan speeds off or 4 lol. The Engine light is now on because of Ambient Temp Sensor Code P0070 and they want nearly $150CDN for this tiny little sensor that does in no way affect the operation of the vehicle. Need this thing to last me at least another year so lets pray the little German machine can do it.
Should also mention this thing is not lightly driven, redlined every time it goes out, and lots of time on the highway. Great little commuter car but now its age is starting to show and the german parts are not cheap. The fit and finish of the new Mazda 3's have my choice for my next vehicle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have @175,000 miles on my 2016 Jetta 5spd. I change the oil every 5k. Follow all other factory service intervals.Timing belt still looks good. Coming from a Honda Accord I have been pleasantly surprised by the reliability of this VW. I have averaged @45 mpg over the life of this car. Long live the manuals.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2016 Jetta S 1.4TSI and have just hit 186,000KM (115,000 Miles), Car is still running strong. Always changed plugs every 40,000km as per VW and Oil Changes every 5,000-7,000km. As far as repairs go, just standard maintenance stuff for the most part besides the Front Passenger side wheel bearing that went around 130,000km, and the heater/Fan resistor which only allowed me fan speeds off or 4 lol. The Engine light is now on because of Ambient Temp Sensor Code P0070 and they want nearly $150CDN for this tiny little sensor that does in no way affect the operation of the vehicle. Need this thing to last me at least another year so lets pray the little German machine can do it.
Should also mention this thing is not lightly driven, redlined every time it goes out, and lots of time on the highway. Great little commuter car but now its age is starting to show and the german parts are not cheap. The fit and finish of the new Mazda 3's have my choice for my next vehicle.
It's age is starting to show? It's only 4 years old!

I have @175,000 miles on my 2016 Jetta 5spd. I change the oil every 5k. Follow all other factory service intervals.Timing belt still looks good. Coming from a Honda Accord I have been pleasantly surprised by the reliability of this VW. I have averaged @45 mpg over the life of this car. Long live the manuals.
Glad to hear yours is doing well and thank you for that info on the timing belt. Good to hear the "lifetime" belt can indeed hold up for such a long interval.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's awesome to hear! That redline part is so true. I just had to do my plugs and i changed the coil packs it feels like the engine was born again

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
75,000 miles on mine. No issues at all with the engine. Change the oil and spark plugs as VW states with good oil and filter.

The only annoying thing is the wastegate arm rattle when the wastegate opens to reduce boost. I tried a clip, but there is no specific clips for this engine/ turbo assembly and the one for the 2.0T is slightly wrong in size, causing it to rotate and get the wastegate stuck open throwing codes.

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
491 Posts
75,000 miles on mine. No issues at all with the engine. Change the oil and spark plugs as VW states with good oil and filter.

The only annoying thing is the wastegate arm rattle when the wastegate opens to reduce boost. I tried a clip, but there is no specific clips for this engine/ turbo assembly and the one for the 2.0T is slightly wrong in size, causing it to rotate and get the wastegate stuck open throwing codes.
hey, it is almost every VAG car with a turbo. The waste gates rattle and we make jokes about it but it really common. Just make sure it doesn't get dirty or something touches it. I am at 50k miles 2016. I changed plugs twice already and oil every 5k

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I should note that there is currently a recall for the 2016 to 2018 (I think) 1.4 TSI engines for the fuel rail bolts. Although the dealers haven't started repairs yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have 92.3k miles of my 2013 Golf (UK), got it when it had 72k, seemingly it was owned by a non-car lady and it followed all the dealer servicing up to 72k.

I do oil changes every 6k miles, spark plugs done at 79k, the waste gate actuator "failed" at 89k, not that the solenoid actually failed but rather the arm more or less binded with the wastegate on the turbo, luckily my garage manage to remove the actuator otherwise it could be a new turbo, so the actuator + installation and adaptation costs me £500 so around $700 American money. Also had the timing belt done at 83k, I thought it was a bit early for mileage and supposedly its "lifetime" but it was approaching the 6 year mark, so I thought for the peace of mind I would just get it done for £400, waterpump is on the other side so that's left untouched.

My car will have its CEL come on once in a while for a P2196 code every couple months or so, cleared it and it will stay off for another couple of months, not sure what that is, doesn't affect drivability, gas mileage etc..., maybe could do with a engine firmware update or something.

Some other minor problem I had was a radiator fan fail, turned out was just some corroded wire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 17 se 1.4 has 89.6k miles and only had to replace a faulty throttle body around 50k miles. Running strong. Looking to replace spark plugs at 90k, anyone have links for this specific engine to help me along the way?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts