VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for MK VI GTIs for the past 2 months when I came across what at first appeared to be a really good deal on a 2013 4D R. The car is priced at 15k and has clean service history but has 145k miles on it. Obviously that is very high mileage and I doubt that there are many other MK VI Rs that high. I haven't been able to find much info online about the lifespan of these cars.

What do you guys think, is this too risky, or if well maintained is this a car that should last another ownership?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
There are a few people around this forum that have well over 100k miles on their R. You obviously have to expect there to be more maintenance items on a car with that many miles. At this point, you also have to expect any rubber items to be reaching end of life, if not from use then from age. If the car has a good service record, a clean (or reasonable) CarFax, and you get it inspected by an independent mechanic; I would think it has another 100k in it.

Reactions: sirdre

·
Registered
658 Posts
Mine's close to 170k and it still runs like new. As long as it's been properly looked after, it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I’ve got 141k miles on my 2012 and it feels like it is just starting to get broken in. At APR stage 2+ for now. My deepest regret is using the car as my DD for 8 years as I now have to deal with rust problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are a few people around this forum that have well over 100k miles on their R. You obviously have to expect there to be more maintenance items on a car with that many miles. At this point, you also have to expect any rubber items to be reaching end of life, if not from use then from age. If the car has a good service record, a clean (or reasonable) CarFax, and you get it inspected by an independent mechanic; I would think it has another 100k in it.
Is there a list of all rubber pieces that it would be smart to replace on these mk6s? Gasket and bevel box seals, rear giubo, and fuel lines? What else should I replace on mine

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Is there a list of all rubber pieces that it would be smart to replace on these mk6s? Gasket and bevel box seals, rear giubo, and fuel lines? What else should I replace on mine
You can add suspension bushings and dogbone mount. If the car is tuned, then by that point you should probably be looking at engine mounts too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Strut mounts and bearings, rear shock mounts, front control arm bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, rear upper and lower control arms, and rear toe arms. You can't buy OEM rubber upper control arm bushings without buying the whole arm - they're not cheap, but you can get urethane bushings if you don't want to buy the arm. They work fine, but they squeak a bit in cold weather. I guess you could add rear subframe bushings to the list if you're being thorough, but mine are still original. The rear driveshaft coupler isn't technically a wear item, it's a 'replace it when it fails' thing.

·
Registered
13 Golf R
29 Posts
I've been looking for MK VI GTIs for the past 2 months when I came across what at first appeared to be a really good deal on a 2013 4D R. The car is priced at 15k and has clean service history but has 145k miles on it. Obviously that is very high mileage and I doubt that there are many other MK VI Rs that high. I haven't been able to find much info online about the lifespan of these cars.

What do you guys think, is this too risky, or if well maintained is this a car that should last another ownership?
That's funny. Thats gotta be the one I just bought on Friday. Was it the blue one on El Camino in Sacramento?
Yes, there are some things it needs, and it was not maintained the best. I had an 08 R32 before this, so I know the trouble I'm in for. I also don't need it to commute, its just for my fun.
In the first 10 miles I drove it home, my list of needs will be the belt, change all fluids, a tune, and maybe the right rear wheel bearing. Still, not that big of a deal to me...Later on this summer I'll do all the hoses.
My youngest son has a 2016 Jetta, and oldest daughter has a 2020 GTI. Red, white, and blue VW's looks pretty neat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts