VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When buying a higher mileage VR6, (specifically in my case around 110k miles) what sort of things should I be looking for and avoiding? If I were to purchase the car, what sorts of maitenance would I be wanting to do right away, and what are the costs associated with such maitenance? There's a deal on a Mk3 jetta here that I really can't pass up if the mileage is not going to be a problem.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Re: high-mileage VR6 questions (kerosenec4)

That ain't high mileage for a V-dub or a VR6. I bought mine with 99,997 on it and now it's got 133,000+ and no problems(with the engine anyway) I just did the clutch and checked on the chains at the same time and it looks perfect. I suspect someone did them already though.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I hear that timing chain replacement might be a good idea - how much would it cost to have that done at a shop? I really don't have a garage to do it myself nor really the courage to start ripping the engine apart

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

All the parts for mine(2 chains,4 guides&tensioner bolt) were $200 from http://www.germanautoparts.com Get to know them, they'll be your best friends
Expect double that from VW or a shop. The whole clutch job took me 20hrs start to finish. 1st time I did it but I had a lift and air tools too. Probably another hour I could have had the chains done but they were so good I didn't want to open THAT can of worms. I intended to and took off the inake and VC so that ate up time that I didn't need to but I'd say a shop that has don them might shave 5 hours off that. So figure roughly $400 for parts and 15 hours @ about $50/hr=about $1200 or $1300. My local VW stealership quoted me $1700 for the clutch jib but they are way expensive but I think that gives you a range of what to expect.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: high-mileage VR6 questions (jpete)

Quote, originally posted by jpete »
So figure roughly $400 for parts and 15 hours @ about $50/hr=about $1200 or $1300. My local VW stealership quoted me $1700 for the clutch jib but they are way expensive but I think that gives you a range of what to expect.
Jeff

wait wait wait what's this about a clutch?!?
I'm merely asking about the timing chain replacement.
Or maybe I'm just stupid and not understanding what you're saying
Either way, that's a lot of cash.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts

Definitely check for timing chain rattle http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I'm about to have an LSD, clutch, and timing chains installed for $800 labor. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Many people go ahead and replace all the timing chain parts while doing a clutch or any transmission repair. The reason is becasue the tranny must be pulled off to access the lower timing chain and its parts. So you'd save money in labor in the long run http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Re: high-mileage VR6 questions (VgRt6)

the thing about the clutch is that you have to remove the tranny to get to all the timing parts, might be a good time to check/change that too, otherwise your redoing almost ALL of your labor again.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Sorry, I guess I figured everyone knew that the timing chains are between the engine and trans. My point was that the labor to get to the chains is pretty much the same as the clutch. Just trying to make a comparison.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kerosenec4 »
I hear that timing chain replacement might be a good idea - how much would it cost to have that done at a shop? I really don't have a garage to do it myself nor really the courage to start ripping the engine apart

I put the job off for a while thinking that it would be a major pain, but, those Germans, God bless 'em, are VERY logical and precise about how and what they put where. Basically, if it's in the way, take it out. The biggest pain was getting the trans out. I has to be turned/tilted/rotated exactly right or you will not get it in/out. If you go it right, it's the easiest part of the job. If not, it's a [email protected] breaker.
Jeff

·
Registered
977 Posts

kerosenec4 - I would add to the above, the following replacement parts and work:
1. Thermostat Housing
2. Coolant Pipe
3. Oil pressure sending units on top of the oil filter housing
4. Break rotors
5. Break pads (Carbon / Kevlar pads from
http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/ )
6. Serpentine belt
7. Grease the tensioner pulley bearing
8. Valve job (multi-angle preferable)
9. Valve guides
10. Valve stem seals
11. Lifters
12. Check Coil Pac for arching
13. Spark Plug wires
14. Spark Plugs
15. Clean MAF
16. Bilstien HD struts and shocks
17. Wheel Alignment
With the above work you are ready for another 100,000 miles of fun in your VW.
- Bob

Modified by Evolution Marine at 6:55 AM 2-15-2004

1 - 13 of 13 Posts