VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumb question but I noticed a high pitched whistling sound inside my car like an air leak or something, while the engine is running of course. I hear it change in pitch as I go on and off the gas. Anyone know what it is ?
Colin

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (demastr32)

It happens as soon as I start the engine and varies in pitch according to how much I press the gas pedal. Could be some kind of intake noise or something. At first I thought it was wind getting in somewhere.
Colin

·
Registered
17,666 Posts
Re: (blackmagic333)

Quote, originally posted by blackmagic333 »
It happens as soon as I start the engine and varies in pitch according to how much I press the gas pedal. Could be some kind of intake noise or something. At first I thought it was wind getting in somewhere.
Colin

Is the radio on? I ask because you might have an improperly shielded ignition component, and that can create radio "noise" that sounds like a whistle, and will increase in pitch as RPMs increase.

Modified by rabbitgtibbar at 7:30 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
The other night I was driving and I heard the same thing happen. It was coming from the rear and I heard that the exhaust was louder than normal. The vacuum tube had come loose from the solenoid, and was causing the high-pitched noise. I hooked it back up and it disappeared.
Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but it fixed mine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: (blackmagic333)

i think vr6cop is right. If you don't keep that tube completely plugged than you will get a strange hissing noise. There are many posts on the location of the tube but it is located underneath the rear of the car on the driver side. Make sure the both ends are securely fastened and if you've done the exhaust mod than make sure the tube is plugged up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (ufgator)

I think he is right too. I took it ot the dealers tonight but the service staff had gone home. The guy who sold it to me and I figured it was coming from the back of the car. It's hard to tell when you're sitting in the drivers seat. I'll try to locate it tomorrow.
Colin

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: ([email protected])

Got under the car this morning and there it was, hanging off. I pushed it back on and now all is well. The exhaust sounds completely different, and no hissing of course. Shame the dealer never found this during the PDI or heard it, it's kinda obvious. That concerns me.
Colin

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Glad I could be of help Colin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
948 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

i just took mine in for a noise behind the engine i could mainly only hear it when the hood was open and only could hear it from the passenger side of the car by the fornt fender.. i have been told this from the exhuast and that it is normal i did hear it on another dealer car that we started up... same thing hope this helps

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
Re: (BadBoyBill)

I have a similar whistle when I am running my AC. I have a hissing in my car all the time when running the AC, but when you start moving and get on the gas the whistle becomes louder and goes back to a hiss when I get off the gas.
Gonna have the dealer check it out soon as it also does not seem to cool as good as it should.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts