VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 Passat GLX 4MO.
It's Indigo Blue/Beige.. Wonderful car. Anyway, when I get on the freeway and throw it into passing gear (i.e. flooring it), the revs sometimes go into the 6500rpm range and almost into the red. As soon as I notice this, I usually back off a little to drop the RPMs. What I'm wondering is, Is this normal? Do I have anything to worry about?
Second question, about a week after I got the car
some sob apparantly bushed along my rear passenger door and now there's a small scratch-brush mark. I've tried Mother's scratch remover and while this has worked a little, it's not completely removed the brush marks to my satisfaction. Any suggestions?
Last, are the stock speakers (monsoon) decent? I mean, I enjoy listening to music and sometimes at a loud volume. I'm beginning to notice a small distortion in my drivers-right speaker and am trying to determine if this is beginning to blow, or if it's just the music I'm listening to has distortion on it.
Thanks.
Stuart.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: High Revs in Passing Gear & other questions. (Stuart_MI)

After reading that the Tiptronic (and full automatic) will not allow the car to over rev, I've been alarmed that it will basically redline it before attempting to downshift. For supposedly preventing inadvertant damage it sure does take it to the limit.......like when I had it in Tip mode and didn't remember while flooring it from a stop light. "uh, why isn't it shift---oh !"

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: High Revs in Passing Gear & other questions. (pawn707)

Good question.
Since getting the engine chipped, I've hit the rev limiter in first before I realise it. Have done it in 2nd a couple of times, too. Still getting used to a car's low-revving engine.
Anyone got an answer? Will it kill the engine to hit the rev limiter briefly once in a while?
cheers,

·
Registered
593 Posts

There are actually two bottom positions on the gas pedal. The normal one which you hit first when you push the gas and then the "kick-down" one (see your manual). Once you get into the kick-down area, the transmission will pick the lowest gear it can to get as much power as possible and that usually works out to 6K or 6.5K rpms. This is normal and will up shift itself at redline or slightly before. While this stresses the engine, doing it every none and then should not at all harm the engine. I'd be concerned about doing it on a colder engine (less than 15 mintues of running), or like doing it 20 times a day.

·
Registered
48 Posts

It's partly a result of the ridiculous final drive ratio VWoA has put into the 4MOTION. Check your revs at 75 mph compared to the equivalent FWD version and you'll get the idea.
Marc

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: High Revs in Passing Gear & other questions. (Marc Collins)

errr. if the engine was in high revs and then downshifted that would force the engine through the revlimiter which would cause damage. i think you mean to say up shift?

·
Registered
467 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. The ECU should have a "fuel cutoff" that will prevent you from hitting engine-damaging RPMs. Even though red-line is 6500 (or so), the engine will probably handle a little bit more "safely".
When I had a '99 Acura TL (first year of redesign) with the 4 speed auto/tip, I would inadvertantly leave it in first and bump up against the rev limiter every once in a while. The engine was so smooth, that with the radio on, I would easily not notice the revs up that high until there was no more juice. Whoops. People would look at me like I was an idiot. Then again, maybe I was for doing it that often.

I'm sure VW has already thought of this and put something in there to prevent damage. I don't thing Acura has out-engineered/out-thought VW.
-Craig
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T, Silverstone Gray/Black, Leather, Luxury, Monsoon, 5-Speed.
Stock (for now).

[Modified by outrun, 2:53 PM 4-8-2002]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts