VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
48k here, still strong. Battery died on me and constant check engine light that i delete code with my APR mobile app "fuel pressure sensor Malfunction". Doesn't affect the engine and running strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
93K miles?? wow,,,,,any issues that i should look for into buying a HIGH mileage car? and if so what are the things that break the most on these cars and stuff that reguires regular maintenance in order to prevent stuff from breaking??

thanks

93k. 2012

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Timing belt and water pump done at 84k. Regular oil changes every 5k. Cam follower every 15k. And haldex every 25. Been stage 2+ for 30k miles. No issues.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Timing belt and water pump done at 84k. Regular oil changes every 5k. Cam follower every 15k. And haldex every 25. Been stage 2+ for 30k miles. No issues.

good to hear, that is good news
what about the rear driveshaft Giubo harmonic balancer/coupling??? a lot of people seem to have these fail pretty early, some like 25-30K miles and even to owners that are NOT even tuned

here's a link to that long tread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6912758-Something-new-to-check/page5

·
Registered
285 Posts
good to hear, that is good news
what about the rear driveshaft Giubo harmonic balancer/coupling??? a lot of people seem to have these fail pretty early, some like 25-30K miles and even to owners that are NOT even tuned

here's a link to that long tread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6912758-Something-new-to-check/page5
93k on a ‘12 2+. About to get her third clutch tomorrow (DKM twin disc going in), BFI Stage 3 coming out dead after 28k miles, Sachs before that killed a factory flywheel at 65k miles), timing belt, just had a de-carb and it wasn’t terrible as I did Seafoam treatments every 10k. Other than that I had to clean the push to start, replace headlight level sensor. Guibo is good, but I’m in Vegas and the car has never seen salted roads.

There’s a guy on the FB R Owners forum with over 170k. I’d ask this question there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm at...wait for it...154k, picked up last month with 150k even on the clock. Tight as a drum and beautifully maintained other than the timing belt/water pump not having been done, which I just did yesterday along with the dogbone and passenger-side engine mounts. Feels like it'll go another 150k easy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm at 120k.

Ignition service was at 85k. Clutch was done at 95k, Timing belt at 105k. Oil changes every 5k, Haldex service every 3 years. Beyond that, I've only had to replace wear items. Engine still runs like a sewing machine - never fails to start, never thrown a CEL.

·
Registered
382 Posts
63,000 miles, still stock.
Rear Differential was replaced under warranty at around 15,000 miles for a whine when cruising on the highway.
The low pressure (in-tank) fuel pump was replaced under warranty at around 20,000 miles for a high pitch noise.
The rear drive shaft harmonic balancer was replaced under warranty at around 30,000 miles. It looks like this one is slowly failing the same way (slight vibrations under load at highway speeds).
The original battery died a month after the warranty expired.
The O2 sensor died just after the warranty expired.
The driver seat has panels that are not leather and are cracking.
The stock clutch started slipping recently in 6th gear on really cold days.
The stock rims could not handle the Chicago potholes.
The tire pressure monitoring system is funky, sometimes will alarm you about low pressure when all is good, sometimes it will not when you have a completely flat tire.
The Bluetooth started acting funky lately too, shows the phone connected, but does not play the sound over the car speakers, needs the car restarted when that happens.
Kessy acts up occasionally as well in a very random manner.
The car has had oil changes every 5,000 miles, cam followers replaced every 20,000 miles (overkill for stock HPFP), and all other recommended services done before the suggested mileage or time intervals. Overall still very happy with it. Plan to get a tune when I change the clutch ;-)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm at...wait for it...154k, picked up last month with 150k even on the clock. Tight as a drum and beautifully maintained other than the timing belt/water pump not having been done, which I just did yesterday along with the dogbone and passenger-side engine mounts. Feels like it'll go another 150k easy.
WOW...........150K + miles??? is it a 2012 model??
that is good to hear that these cars are still going strong after these many miles

is yours stock or somewhat modified? if not modified are you planning on doing stuff to it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
WOW...........150K + miles??? is it a 2012 model??
that is good to hear that these cars are still going strong after these many miles

is yours stock or somewhat modified? if not modified are you planning on doing stuff to it?
It's a 2012, yeah. Bone stock, carfax looks like it went to the dealer for services once every 10k miles like clockwork. I'll eventually get it up to stage 2+ and put some coilovers on it for auto-x rather than for going low, but nothing too crazy beyond that.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I was contemplating selling mine soon as I am creeping up to 72k miles. After reading some of the higher mileage guys' posts, I am thinking my car isn't even at her midlife crisis yet!

Other than issues relating to an accident, my only issues have been:

- Bluetooth acting strange. My phone would connect and disconnect every 3 minutes. After the recent IOS update, the bluetooth is working fine.
- Kessy. Sometimes the door-touch-unlock/lock system works, sometimes it doesn't.
- Backup Camera. This one kind of doesn't count, but I haven't been able to get the dang thing to work since I bought the car. (previous owner had it installed... poorly)
- Speaker. The front passenger speaker blew out and was super fuzzy. Had it replaced under warranty but it is starting to sound fuzzy again.
- Guibo. Starting to get some increased vibration at highway speeds. Sucks that I am out of warranty for this one!

Once I can get the above issues dialed, I will look forward to many more years of ownership!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I was contemplating selling mine soon as I am creeping up to 72k miles. After reading some of the higher mileage guys' posts, I am thinking my car isn't even at her midlife crisis yet!

Other than issues relating to an accident, my only issues have been:

- Bluetooth acting strange. My phone would connect and disconnect every 3 minutes. After the recent IOS update, the bluetooth is working fine.
- Kessy. Sometimes the door-touch-unlock/lock system works, sometimes it doesn't.
- Backup Camera. This one kind of doesn't count, but I haven't been able to get the dang thing to work since I bought the car. (previous owner had it installed... poorly)
- Speaker. The front passenger speaker blew out and was super fuzzy. Had it replaced under warranty but it is starting to sound fuzzy again.
- Guibo. Starting to get some increased vibration at highway speeds. Sucks that I am out of warranty for this one!

Once I can get the above issues dialed, I will look forward to many more years of ownership!
For the kessy problem your having you should try replacing key fob battery. It was happening to mine and I replaced battery and it’s been good since

1 - 20 of 56 Posts