VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First this is what I am running Koni yellow + stock vr6 springs+ Falken ST-115 on a 2003 GTI VR6.
OK now to the question. When I travel at high speed my car feels like I am loosing contact with the road and that there is not enough down force on my car. This feeling is exacerbated as the wind picks up. As I cross over bridges I really feel like I could blow over the side.
Anyone have any ideas ... besides slowing down

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Re: highway travel (muffinman)

If it makes you feel any better my car feels similar at very high speeds. Probably the combination of high center of gravity and front weight bias. I now drive slower, get much better gas mileage, less tickets, less stress, and live in eternal bliss

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

Quote, originally posted by muffinman »
..... I consider 75 MPH high speed

Oh, that seems reasonable. I hope someone can give help. But truth be told, most cars I've driven over 75 MPH, float a bit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Re: highway travel (okanagan45)

First, check your alignment! Goofy things happen if it's off. Then, If your konis are set pretty firm all ready... A good set of stiff sway bars will help.. Wind tends to lean the car to the side a bit which makes you feel real unstable. Especially gusty winds, and at high speeds. After installing stiff sway bars my car overall seems much tighter in windy and high speed driving. I hardly notice any wind push when passing a semi truck now. That alone is worth stiff bars in my book!
If your car is just "Floating" or slow bouncing at higher speeds, (Like an old cadillac) then I would guess either your konis are set way too soft, or blown. Your front springs may need upgrading too?
My 88 Jetta has eibach sportline springs (Soon to be FK 60/40's) , eibach sway bars, and Koni "Special" Red shocks/struts set about medium firm. I drove 80-90mph last week for about 120 LOS ANGELES miles...
(Pacific coast hyway, through Malibu canyon, to 101, to 405, to 5, to the 14, to Lancaster) and my Jetta doesn't float at all at those speeds.
And that route is extremely diverse in all aspects..

Sounds like alignment and/or blown shocks.

Modified by AV_Dub at 11:16 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: highway travel (AV_Dub)

The struts/shocks are OK. Its not bouncing at all, its floating the faster I go the more I feel like I am driving a Hover Craft. I also thought alignment but the car tracks straight. Could the alignment be off even though I am going straight?
As I stiffen the front Konis, and increase the psi in the tires, the steering becomes lighter and the car acts a bit more "nervous". I assume this is normal.
Also the last time my car was on a lift it looked like the driver side rear wheel was angled a bit more then the passenger side wheel , anyone ever notice this. Now that I have noticed it on the lift I can notice it on the ground too. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Sounds like an alignment might just be the ticket. Bias towards toe-in should reduce the "nervous" feeling, however that also slightly reduces fuel economy and steering response, while increasing tire wear relative to zero toe or mild toe-out (most cars factory alignment specs are biased towards toe-in). It's my belief that annual alignments are a good idea no matter what. For daily driving, just keep your tires at the recommended pressure and keep your konis relatively comfortable http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .

·
Registered
18,552 Posts

Hmm.. I've driven a GTI-VR6 over 140mph and it didn't feel flighty at all.
The Golf shape doesn't actually generate much lift and is a lot more slippery than
people generally give it credit for.
One factor here is that a lot of aftermarket dampers are set up with greater low speed
damping and less high speed damping. The former allows it to control
things like body roll, squat and dive and take a set quicker in turns, while the
latter helps it eat up small sharp bumps and keep the ride comfortable. One thing that
happens though is that the faster you go, the quicker the frequency between bumps
on the highway so effectively *everything* becomes a job for the high speed damping, and
the suspension will actually get smoother and smoother at high speeds. That may be what
you're feeling.
ian

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: highway travel (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »

the suspension will actually get smoother and smoother at high speeds. That may be what
you're feeling.
ian

Absolutely, the faster I go the better the car takes bumps. I realized this for the first time a few days ago. The car just rides better on poorly paved highways then it does on poorly paved side streets.

But again not what i am feeling. It just feels that as I go faster less weight is being generated downward and I am loosing traction. I know that under acceleration this is happening, as it is front-wheel drive, but this should not happen under constant speed.
BTW- I had an alignment done about 6 months ago, but I guess it wouldn't hurt (anything else but my wallet) to have another. Does anyone think that it may be an unbalanced tire?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would check every front suspension bushing, and steering rack for possible problems.
It doesn't sound like unbalanced tires, because it would shake a bit.
Lastly, I had alot of cv joint problems a while ago and the front stub axle nut was comming loose pretty regularly. It felt loose at higher speeds like you're describing. those nuts need to be torqued really tight. Check them to be sure.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Re: (AV_Dub)

bump for ..... did you find out the prob?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (AV_Dub)

just got back from a 10 days in florida - all the way down to key west , drove the whole thing but took the wife's EXV6, so i will need a day or two to get up to speed, .... My car has sat so long that all of my rotors have turned dark orange
I wonder if that is because I live so close to the ocean.

Modified by muffinman at 4:45 PM 6-1-2004

1 - 12 of 12 Posts