VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered this blow off valve kit and it looks sweet. No check engine light and you don't have to remove the sensor. Has anyone else purchased this from ecstuning.com

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Re: HKS Blow off valve kit (focker23945)

This kit was debated on here before, there was a reason it stayed in the G/J forum and not in here. Read about your car and find out why you shouldn't run it. Specifically closed loop intake systems.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HKS Blow off valve kit (Bug_Power)

Does anyone actually have this on their car or has anybody tried it?

·
Banned
2,380 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]This kit was debated on here before, there was a reason it stayed in the G/J forum and not in here. Read about your car and find out why you shouldn't run it. Specifically closed loop intake systems.[HR][/HR]​
We had a customer car in here this morning with it installed. Car had a reference DTC, which might or might not be related to the kit. The valve was quite loud.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Re: HKS Blow off valve kit (Jason @ ND)

I don't doubt that it's not loud, just make sure it's safe you know what i mean?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Once again the only people who bad mouth this product or those who don't use it and probably are upset because they already have one, or are just to bitter to try anything. I have ordered this product and am going to try it on my car until I here from someone directly who has it on there's and it has messed up there engine.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts

So I guess that 1 hour PM fest we had were I explained it to you was for nothing.

·
Registered
482 Posts

I was talking to my master tech at my local VW dealer, here is what he tells me about BOV.
"Why do you want a BOV on this car?"
He explain this to me about our car.
Basically, we have a close system. What that mean is that all air is reciculated, nothing is wasted. In a normal turbo car, the wastegate is wasteing all the boost since the turbo will spin rather you want it or not (normal driving). So if you don't want boost, it is wasted through the wastegate. Our car do not use wastegate, we don't waste anything. All the air is reciculated.
Normally, in a turbo car, when you step on the trottle, your wastegate close. Once it is closed, you have to wait for the turbo to charge up the boost, that is your turbo lag. However, on our car, since we don't waste anything, when we step on the trottle, all the reciculating air go straight into the intake. when we run out of reciculating air, then the by-pass valve closes and everything goes from the intake straight to the engine.
So in conclusion, by adding a BOV which make a really cool noise, and honestly, I want one too, is basically adding turbo lag to a supposed lagless turbo system.
Also, all the fuel designed by the computer to compensate for the air that is reciculated when you lift off the trottle will make the car run rich, but only for a second when you shift. The long as the blow off valve is set so it does not "bleed" any air when the car is idle and just let the air reciculated normally as it would through the factory by-pass valve, then it should be fine.
But again, while the car should run fine, and it will only run rich at the moment of shifting, WHY add lag to a perfectly designed lagless turbo system? Also, I have a B5 Passat. We have had BOV working the way we said it would in all the cable car. However, Drive by Wire Passat have a problem. It will run fine, but the car will get inconsistant boost, you may get 15lbs, you may not. The computer goes crazy because it think you have a MAJOR leak between the trottle body and the intercooler. There is a sensor that read boost pressure in the intercooler from what I was told.
Well, here is what I know. Anyone with any idea, please chime in.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just installed the ECS kit on my car and it works so great. I have had no trouble with power loss what so ever. I would definitely encourage you guys to try it out before you talk s***. The sound is great.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Re: HKS Blow off valve kit (Drake)

Quote, originally posted by Drake »
I was talking to my master tech at my local VW dealer, here is what he tells me about BOV.
"Why do you want a BOV on this car?"
He explain this to me about our car.
Basically, we have a close system. What that mean is that all air is reciculated, nothing is wasted. In a normal turbo car, the wastegate is wasteing all the boost since the turbo will spin rather you want it or not (normal driving). So if you don't want boost, it is wasted through the wastegate. Our car do not use wastegate, we don't waste anything. All the air is reciculated.

yes, our turbos use wastegates. otherwise we would be making boost whenever the car is running.

Normally, in a turbo car, when you step on the trottle, your wastegate close. Once it is closed, you have to wait for the turbo to charge up the boost, that is your turbo lag. However, on our car, since we don't waste anything, when we step on the trottle, all the reciculating air go straight into the intake. when we run out of reciculating air, then the by-pass valve closes and everything goes from the intake straight to the engine.

our cars still have turbo lag, its just not very noticeable because our stock turbos are so small. i dont really understand what else you said in this paragraph, so ill go to the next one.

So in conclusion, by adding a BOV which make a really cool noise, and honestly, I want one too, is basically adding turbo lag to a supposed lagless turbo system.

youre not adding any lag to the system by putting a BOV on, youre just messing up your fuel trims, because the computer isnt getting the expected readings from the various sensors.

Also, all the fuel designed by the computer to compensate for the air that is reciculated when you lift off the trottle will make the car run rich, but only for a second when you shift. The long as the blow off valve is set so it does not "bleed" any air when the car is idle and just let the air reciculated normally as it would through the factory by-pass valve, then it should be fine.

the only time youll run rich is when you let off, but this still affects your fuel trims, and the computer uses these to adjust fueling, so youre screwing with fueling computations even when you arent letting off or w/e.

But again, while the car should run fine, and it will only run rich at the moment of shifting, WHY add lag to a perfectly designed lagless turbo system? Also, I have a B5 Passat. We have had BOV working the way we said it would in all the cable car. However, Drive by Wire Passat have a problem. It will run fine, but the car will get inconsistant boost, you may get 15lbs, you may not. The computer goes crazy because it think you have a MAJOR leak between the trottle body and the intercooler. There is a sensor that read boost pressure in the intercooler from what I was told.
Well, here is what I know. Anyone with any idea, please chime in.

that sensor is the MAP sensor. i got surging pretty bad and some other weird stuff when i had my hks on there, so i took it off, but im going to try it again when i install my turbo stuff.

Modified by mark420v at 5:50 PM 9-10-2004

·
Registered
137 Posts

i have the kit as well and i haven't had any problems AT ALL since i bought it in the winter. If, for whatever reason you sould run into any problems, you could buy the recirculation kit for it that makes it function like a dirverty valve. If you have any problem feel free to IM me and we'll talk http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Great Product HKS

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Re: HKS Blow off valve kit (GTI.8T)

Quote, originally posted by GTI.8T »
i have the kit as well and i haven't had any problems AT ALL since i bought it in the winter. If, for whatever reason you sould run into any problems, you could buy the recirculation kit for it that makes it function like a dirverty valve. If you have any problem feel free to IM me and we'll talk http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Great Product HKS

mine ran fine with the HKS, Im selling to buy a downpipe, but I am convinced it is a good BOV.
here is my FS thread
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1582518

·
Registered
12,171 Posts

Quote, originally posted by focker23945 »
Once again the only people who bad mouth this product or those who don't use it and probably are upset because they already have one, or are just to bitter to try anything. I have ordered this product and am going to try it on my car until I here from someone directly who has it on there's and it has messed up there engine.

I had it on my car back in the day (2 years ago), it didnt work for crap with the maf plugged in. Good luck...

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Re: HKS Blow off valve kit (MRP2001GTi)

ive heard the hks valves work better than most valves running in BOV mode on our cars because it has anti-stall. ive seen a few people tune them such that they wont get a CEL. that doesnt necessarily mean that the car is running like it should, youll probably still run way rich when the valve is venting. use only as directed, results may vary, blah blah blah

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: HKS Blow off valve kit (LA Wolfsburg)

Quote, originally posted by LA Wolfsburg »
ive seen a few people tune them such that they wont get a CEL. that doesnt necessarily mean that the car is running like it should, youll probably still run way rich when the valve is venting. use only as directed, results may vary, blah blah blah

Oh you can make them work, I am running one right now in BOV mode but thats only because I have one laying around and I am not running a MAF anyway. When you run mafless you sometimes run a little rich. I tuned out the richness with lemmiwinks and threw the HKS on for kicks. It works fine as long as you are not running a MAF.

Modified by MRP2001GTi at 9:46 AM 9-11-2004

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Re: HKS Blow off valve kit (MRP2001GTi)

yeah i know that. any BOV works with the MAF unplugged. i have seen a few cars that work with it plugged in though. as far as i know the hks is special because it has anti stall so supposedly theres a perfect setting that allows it to run well. im not sure if this works on all vws or just the few ive seen. as far as i know its a biatch and a half to find that perfect setting.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
You wasted your money. The ECU will adapt, it will pull fuel to compensate for air it's not seeing, your car won't run as fast. It'll FEEL fine, but when I was neck and neck with my friend's 12v, I knew something wasn't right - I should've destroyed him. And I was right. Once I got the recirculation kit, the car regained a ton of power.
When I first got the BOV, I dyno'd just a few days later and put down 199.7 to the wheels. I figured I was running pretty well and all this nonsense about BOVs not working on our cars was just that, nonsense. But after awhile, the car just didn't seem quite as strong. Boost was fine (22peak, [email protected]), but it just didn't feel right. Got her recirculating and BOOM it was like a new car. Ran smoother, felt faster. I never dyno'd while the ECU was adapted to the BOV but I'm guessing I lost somewhere around 30-40 peak hp after awhile, between the BOV and crappy so-called "93" octane fuel we have here

Just a few days ago, I picked up a brand-new Audi TT 225 diverter valve. Needless to say, there will be another HKS, with the recirculator kit, up for sale soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.