VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (purplejettahondaeater)

anything is possible with the right ammount of money.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (The_Hamster)

a twin turbo would be a much smarter idea on this motor, I've already had ideas in my head about it.
You have 4 cylinders on either side, quad turboing a W8 is about as worthwhile as twin turboing a 4 cylinder. Getting two cylinders to spin up a turbo is going to make a TON of lag, plus I'd doubt the space under the hood for two turbos on a VR configured head. Think about the twin turbo VR6, imagine them doing that with 3 turbos!!! not possible..

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (Rook12V)

Rook has a point on the lag thing, I agree with twin turbo... rook and pjhe, lets pool our resources and build something to obliterate Dahlback's golf! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (Mhyrr)

Well if HPA is getting 600 HP from a twin turbo VR6 - then do I hear 1000 hp from a twin turbo W8? OHHHHH...that would be sweet!!! :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (Rook12V)

Lotus uses a V8 twin turbo in production models. VW's Bugatti concept is W12 with quad turbo and 1000hp. Both have very different flow dynamics to make each configuration work.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts

You can make a good quad (tertra?) turbo W8, when you make two pairs of sequential turbos.
But that a complex set up.
-PJ

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,504 Posts

If you're seriously interested, contact [email protected] , he'll hook you up http://****************.com/smile/emsmile.gif His last projects were a 3.8T (V8) into a 240D, a 300SD upgrade to 230 HP (has 70 hp stock).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (candyweißpassat)

i'll bet that the next audi S4 will be a lightly turboed version of the W8. It will probably be a little less displacement than the NA W8. Maybe like a 3.8L bi-turbo (dual K03)...it'll be called the W8 3.8T . It'll run about 400HP. just my two cents.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (revensonjr)

I tried to get some information loose about the next S4 engine from a guy at Cosworth LT. But he didn't bite.
-PJ

[Modified by AuForm, 3:21 AM 8-26-2001]

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,504 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (AuForm)

quote:[HR][/HR]from a guy at Cosworth [HR][/HR]​
Isn't Cosworth (English)Ford's in house tuner?

·
Registered
11,855 Posts

The W16 that will go into the Bugatti Veryon will have 4 turbos and 1000hp and 920 ft. lbs. of torque. It is essentially two W8's back to back. So therefore you can assume 500hp easily from a twin turbo W8. Of course it probably have 4 DV valves that will fail

·
Registered
5,155 Posts

The short Cosworth story.
Cosworth was bought from vickers by Audi. Audi sold the racing division to Ford (like the F1 stable), and kept the R&D part. Pïech doesn't see the point in owning an F1 team, and that's probably why it was sold to Ford. The R&D part does work for a lot of customers, one of which is Ford. Like the new Focus SVT engine is Cosworth tuned, and the 6.0l V12 from Aston Martin that is two Ford V6s Cosworth melted together and produces at the factory.
But since the R&D department (known as Cosworth LT) is owned by Audi, lots of Audi enignes are made together with Cosworth. The first of which was the 380hp 2.7T RS4 engine. But also the new W12, and the new 3.0l V6 are partly Cosworth products. Cosworth actually had the very first 3.0ls recalled b/c they discovered a problem in the intake. In future, all the VAG engines will pass through Cosworth for the latest technology, and fine-tuning.

-PJ

·
Registered
760 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (AuForm)

Very informative post!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Isaac in Cambridge
ps. Quad turbo on an 8? Just plain silly, for a variety of reasons. Two turbos would work fine, and adding extras makes about as much sense adding more wheels. MY pet W8 project would be a big laggy turbo and a roots blower. But we all have our own insanities...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (ilja)

How about just one big cylinder without a piston and the exahust and intake ports are always open and you have a giant turbo on it and the crankshaft goes along the axis of the cylinder and the exahust port is a the bottom of the cylinder...and you point the bottom of the cylinder to the back of the car...and it has like 1000 liters of displacement and runs at like 35 bar. man...it would have like 1000hp but like 10 ftlbs of torque. Sorry...i'm on crack... and
...and my eyes bulge like

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Candy
was that 300SD turbo to begine with? Mine was 125hp stock. but imagine the torque on that engine! that 5 cylinder diesel has done 200MPH and gotten 14MPG! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif That was in the teardrop shaped C-112 test car though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (HIDGolf)

So when are they gonna offer the W8 in the GTI's...that'd be pretty nuts.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (FATracing)

quote:[HR][/HR]So when are they gonna offer the W8 in the GTI's...that'd be pretty nuts.
[HR][/HR]​
Nuts, maybe, but awesome none the less!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts