VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
25,079 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (wolfsburger)

not really, its so damn heavy it would ruin all the good handling aspects of a MKIV chassis. In addition for its weight and complexity and cost it doesnt put out all that much power.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (rs4-380)

quote:[HR][/HR]not really, its so damn heavy it would ruin all the good handling aspects of a MKIV chassis. In addition for its weight and complexity and cost it doesnt put out all that much power.[HR][/HR]​
Well thank you captain obvious!
couldn't resist

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (wolfsburger)

Think of the power it COULD produce. No matter the weight you'd still be whoopin some a$$.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (FATracing)

Why not supercharge the W8 instead of turbo. Put the supercharger in between the V of vr4's. Isn't this engine supposed to be a luxury engine, lots of torque down low for automatics instead of crazy hp at the top like the RS4 engine? If this logic is logic at all then a supercharger would be a better choice.
And for Jettas and GTI's I think they will use a supercharged or turbo VR6 3.2, like the one in the next S3 (rumored of turbo or supercharged but will get the 3.2 VR6 for sure), before getting a W8 engine.
BTW Passat W8 are supposed to come to mexico in spring at around 45k us dlls so that would mean that in the states it could end up being 40 k us dlls.

[Modified by Giancarlo, 10:21 AM 10-11-2001]

·
Registered
193 Posts
VR8?

Speaking of the Bugatti engine, have any of you guys thought of the possibility of a VR8? If you think of the configuration of the W8, it's obviously suited for a longitudinal mounting, being 72 degrees. I don't think it would fit very well in a transverse environment. But a VR8 would be a much neater package in a transverse engine bay. Remember the rumors of the V8 Jetta about a year ago? As far as the weight issue, an aluminum-block VR8 would probably weigh about the same or just slightly more than an iron-block VR6. Extrapolating the specific output of the 24v VR6 (71.8 hp/liter), a 3.7L VR8 would put out approximately 266 horsepower. Bump it up to 4.0L, and you're looking at 287 horse. Add variable valve timing & intake runners, and 300 isn't out of the question. Food for thought. . .

[Modified by sechsy, 10:15 PM 10-12-2001]

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (Giancarlo)

quote:[HR][/HR]Why not supercharge the W8 instead of turbo. Put the supercharger in between the V of vr4's. Isn't this engine supposed to be a luxury engine, lots of torque down low for automatics instead of crazy hp at the top like the RS4 engine? If this logic is logic at all then a supercharger would be a better choice.
[HR][/HR]​
If you look at the engine block, you'll see that there isn't room for one. And a high low-end torque is usually useless.
-PJ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (Rook12V)

To coment on the conversation way up top first. I agree with your logic and don't take this the wrong way but you are a little off on a few things. I am a student at an automotive peformance school so I am not just blowing smoke out my a$$! You said somthing about having more turbos being more lag and this is were you are off. The fact is the more little turbos you have makes the least lag and the least amount of big turbos you have is the most lag with the most top end. I am new to the V dub world and have learned that you guys hate lag so that is why I want to let you guys know that the more small turbos you have with the most direct tract for the air to flow will give you more problems with tire traction than you can ever imagine. I have seen F1 cars built with quad turbos on a 3.5L v8 with individual throtle bodies, the driver told me that this comination gave better throtle performance than an NA car.....it made boost at an insanly low rpm ( fool boost, 20psi at 1000RPM). To bad they still are not alowed to use turbo in F1 but very soon I hope. Street cars on the other hand are totaly open to anything as long as you can pay for it. Now lets see somone build a dool stage turbo system for that w8 with ITB and stand alone comp. management. Thank you for listening to my engine babaling

[Modified by supraconverted, 6:48 PM 10-15-2001]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: hmm counting the cynlinder banks and wondering... (supraconverted)

Superchargers do not nessisarily make more low end torque, they are just easier to spool up faster. Instead, you should go with smaller turbos that spool almost instantly which would be even better because you could pick up the hp loss that the suprer charger would create. You could only make like 20psi but it would be made at really low rpm and carried all the way to red line which makes the perfect racing configuration........unless your drag racing wich I have been told alot that vw's are not drag cars, they are car's searching for that perfect twisty road. When I am done with my toy supra I will find somthing to put a W8 in (or vr8, god willing) and build that perfect twisty road car.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Re: VR8? (sechsy)

I'm not sure if the VR8 would fit transversely. you've got to remember that the tranny has to fit to. The VR6 is already pretty stuffed in there.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts