VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an opportunity to get a really low mileage (under 10K) Touareg 2 V6 with Premium package (Xenon, moonroof, etc) for $25K. The title is clear...the owner just wants to offload it and can't find a buyer for more with the way the economy is looking.
I'm not really in the market for a car, and my wife has a perfectly functioning Honda Civic that gets great gas mileage...but I've been wanting to get her into something a big bigger for a while. I've wanted an Audi with stick...but she has been wanting a SUV with Automatic. This is a great opportunity to get her what she wants at a great price. Gas will suck...but we barely put miles on our cars...so for us it really isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Re: Hmm...decisions...decisions... (PricklyPete)

Quote, originally posted by PricklyPete »
I've got an opportunity to get a really low mileage (under 10K) Touareg 2 V6 with Premium package (Xenon, moonroof, etc) for $25K. The title is clear...the owner just wants to offload it and can't find a buyer for more with the way the economy is looking.
I'm not really in the market for a car, and my wife has a perfectly functioning Honda Civic that gets great gas mileage...but I've been wanting to get her into something a big bigger for a while. I've wanted an Audi with stick...but she has been wanting a SUV with Automatic. This is a great opportunity to get her what she wants at a great price. Gas will suck...but we barely put miles on our cars...so for us it really isn't a big deal.

Can't help you here, but I love that you guys are taking advantage of people dumping their luxury cars:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (AutoEuphoria)

Yes...I know what you mean. From a financial standpoint...this isn't really a great move. But then again...buying a new car never really is.
My thoughts are that with everyone in this "hysteria" over high gas prices...they are liable to do two things:
1) Dump their expensive SUV's for ridiculously low prices (like my current opportunity)
2) Pay more than they should for a Used Civic.
Since gas prices don't really affect my wife or I (I've put less than 1500 miles on my truck this year....my wife may have been 3000 on her civic this year. If I was being financially responsible..I'd probably get rid of one...but that's not going to happen.
What I get out of this is that I get my wife into a really nice and safe SUV like she wants with minimal money invested. Of course, her being a woman, she may decide she doesn't want an SUV anymore and that will just be tough luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The negatives would obviously be:
1) Probably higher insurance
2) Higher gas consumption...but barely
3) Spending money that I don't need to spend (of course I do that all the time though...)

·
Banned
6,486 Posts
Re: (PricklyPete)

Quote, originally posted by PricklyPete »
The negatives would obviously be:
1) Probably higher insurance
2) Higher gas consumption...but barely
3) Spending money that I don't need to spend (of course I do that all the time though...)

If you're prepared for all that, it's a tremendous deal.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Re: (PricklyPete)

In your situation, since you don't really need the car, you have a better negotiation stance.
Hold out, let it pass if that happens, if not, lowball the shiat out of 'em.
...like $20k
well, thats what I'd do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definitely try to low ball. It is a person I know...I think they've been listing it for $32K...dropped it to 30K..but said they were at the point that they would sell it to someone like me for $25K. I don't want to be a total ass.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Re: Hmm...decisions...decisions... (PricklyPete)

Timing is perfect and there's no substitute for a happy wife, so I say go for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts