VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i found my 10.1 calipers and caliper carriers for the front and got to wondering if i cant find any for the rear could i just use the fox calipers and caliper carriers for in the rear or do that have to be the 16v ones.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Re: (Ragnarok)

Front brakes dont flip to rears. 12" why not 13" if you wanna get rediculous. I find the stock brakes OK for a 2000lbs car. I can def tell its got drums in the back though on hard braking. Can't wait to get my 10.1's in the front on and see the difference though. Just remember your brakes are only as good as your tires.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: hmmm brakes (matsit_fox)

Use A2 rears. Carriers are necessary and e-brake cables -- maybe all the way up -- might be needed. Same with the rear soft brake lines and I would say the flow divider, but you have a wagon with an adjustable one anyway, and I think it is very close (if not the same) as the A2.
Not a hard job, minus the e-brake antics. Do you really need 4 discs? Jury is still out, so why not.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: hmmm brakes (thegreatandpowerful)

i dont really need 4 disc but it would be nice i mean my stock brakes wont even lock up if i try and thats just weak.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts

i can lock my 10.1's at like 50

kumho ecsta's aren't the stickiest tires but they are stickier then my yokohama avids were

·
Registered
60 Posts
While on the subject, I found a parts place out of michigan called, well, Parts Place and they sell used parts as well as new parts for just about any vw ever made. I was looking at getting the calipers for my car from them cause they list used front calipers from an a3 jetta 2.0 for only 35.00 each. I called to confirm this and the guy was supposed to call me back and never did, but he said something like that he didn't recommend used calipers. I understand that they are used but If they work what could be wrong with them other than the possibility of failing sooner than new ones. They list new calipers for 90.00 each so I thought since I don't have a lot of money now I could go with used. Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Re: (derek_nardecchia)

I've always thought the Parts Place's prices were a little high (and no response when asked for price quote on used parts not listed/priced in catalog).
http://www.germanautoparts.com/ or http://catalog.thepartsbin.com/
is probably a lot cheaper for new.
A junk yard is probably cheaper for used. I would not recommending using used calipers without rebuilding them. Or buy rebuilt and just pay the extra $20 or so for having no core. Now the caliper carries are different; used is usually fine. Most junk yards (at least non-VW specific) will charge one price for caliper with or without carrier. Another possible source for carriers and rebuildable calipers from an A3 is the A3 forum here. Look for someone doing a brake upgrade.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote, originally posted by matsit_fox »
i dont really need 4 disc but it would be nice i mean my stock brakes wont even lock up if i try and thats just weak.

Adjusted the brake regulator yet? Not hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts