VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
14,951 Posts
Re: hmmm...fix up my mkII or just buy the new Touareg?? (pimpinizt1)

Quote, originally posted by pimpinizt1 »
Touareg b/c you wouldn't be American if you didn't want to have MORE DEBT.

The Touareg is also entry size of a car for being on this continent.

Investment-wise, no new car is a good one. Also, in 10-20 years SUV drivers might be looked at like fools. Kinda the way we look at ladies wearing dead animals in the 80s.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: hmmm...fix up my mkII or just buy the new Touareg?? (pimpinizt1)

LOL..you guys are a trip....it isn't a matter of being THAT much in debt but I was weighing the options of the two. That SUV is just so tight and I love all the reviews that I have read so far. It might be higher insurance and payments for a few years, but I don't anticipate trading it in. This is something you keep for a number of years.

· Registered
977 Posts
Re: hmmm...fix up my mkII or just buy the new Touareg?? (bibblegolf)

I was thinking about this one too... I ended up deciding to wait a couple years (till I pay off my loan for my vr swap) and supercharge my vr and buy a Touareg at the same time... (I'll put them on the same loan
)

· Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71 CVPI
4,262 Posts

Well, this is just one perspective on it. Your Golf has 2 "control modules" in it, the ECM and the spark control module. The Touareg V8 has 50-something ECMs according to a tech that was told that at the Touareg technician's VW certification school. Looking through ETKA I could only find 37 ECM's that were officially titled as a "control module" there, with the others obviouly being contained within other electrical parts. I was actually telling the tech of all the ECM's I found on it and he corrected me with the fifty-something number.
Some of the more inane things I found ECMs for are the tilt steering, headlight washers, windshield washers, rear view mirror, and there were some real knee-slappers that I just can't remember.
This information should certainly say something for what kind of long-term investment the vehicle may end of being. I know that this kind of thing isn't as disturbing to alot of people as it is to me, but this info had me trash-talking Touaregs before they even rolled onto the lot. Luckily I'm out of the business now and I don't have to think about them anymore.

· Registered
3,230 Posts

Hmm... better investment? Honestly, I doubt either would be much of an investment, although if either eventually appreciate, the Mk2 will first. If you want an investment, you should be looking at pristine '60's muscle cars, old Ferraris, Porsches, etc.

Now, if I had the money for a Touareg (and the garage space) I would get one and still work on fixing up the Mk2. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
1,719 Posts
Re: hmmm...fix up my mkII or just buy the new Touareg?? (stroudcoheavy)

apples and oranges. Wanna tow something, go with the SUV. Got kids go with the SUV. Your gonna miss the handeling and all the characteristics of a sports cars, gonna miss the mk2 crowd, gas mileage is way better on the mk2, insurance is cheaper. All depends on what your needs are. Why not just get the best of both worlds. Make the mk2 a long term project, whenever you got some extra cash throw it into the mk2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.