1 - 20 of 592 Posts

·
Administrator
19,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Out of curiosity, what software are you going with?

I may be a creature of habit but man, vBulletin (this current version we're on now) is my favorite forum software still. Fast, lightweight, easy to navigate and use, but I see your point - it's been the same for almost two decades.

EDIT: Didn't know VWvortex was owned by VerticalScope. That answers my question! XenForo for us! I don't like it as much as VB, it's a little bloated, but hey I get it!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I'm all for it as long as my two personal requirements are met:

1. Threads don't disappear in bulk
  2. The infernal mobile version is changed to something better

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
I'm all for it as long as my two personal requirements are met:

1. Threads don't disappear in bulk
  2. The infernal mobile version is changed to something better
The mobile version is some of the worst production software I've seen.

And it's 2020 people, let's have forum software that can accept short youtube URL's already FFS.

·
Premium Member
18,561 Posts
My main bike board uses XenForo.

It's way better than vBulletin from a user and moderation/admin perspective, IMO.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts
My main bike board uses XenForo.

It's way better than vBulletin from a user and moderation/admin perspective, IMO.
Screenshots? I don't guess I've seen it. If I have, I didn't know what I was looking at.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,437 Posts
Give this a shot to see the software in action: https://www.watchuseek.com/forums/

These guys changed to XenForo. I usually hate change of this sort, but I don't hate interacting on the WUS forums noted above.
That's definitely something I could live with.

I have to admit, I really like the clean lines and minimal clutter of this place. Compared to most other forums it's really efficient.

So if they keep the styling close and we gain some functionality I'll be okay. Hell, even if it's completely different I'll still hang around.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,624 Posts
That's definitely something I could live with.

I have to admit, I really like the clean lines and minimal clutter of this place. Compared to most other forums it's really efficient.

So if they keep the styling close and we gain some functionality I'll be okay. Hell, even if it's completely different I'll still hang around.
Yup, the learning curve was pretty minimal, and if it matters, you can still access the forum on tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,285 Posts

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
11,979 Posts
My biggest pet peeve with this site's software is that if you pop on for a minute, close it, and then come back 10 minutes later, everything older than 10 minutes is marked as read. I like that XenForo keeps track of what you've actually viewed and keeps everything else unread.

I also like that the interface feels like something from the current decade...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I can live with Xenforo.

The driver behind this is the fact that integrating modern ad service networks into the legacy VBulletin software is a huge cluster**** (as we've all experienced with the page-breaking inline ads and videos). This place still gets a huge number of monthly page views even in spite of the fact that message boards have lost a ton of ground to Facebook and social media groups, so it's no surprise that they're upgrading the architecture to take advantage of the ad sales that are left.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I can live with Xenforo.

The driver behind this is the fact that integrating modern ad service networks into the legacy VBulletin software is a huge cluster**** (as we've all experienced with the page-breaking inline ads and videos). This place still gets a huge number of monthly page views even in spite of the fact that message boards have lost a ton of ground to Facebook and social media groups, so it's no surprise that they're upgrading the architecture to take advantage of the ad sales that are left.
You are exactly right. It's all about the $ (and ads/trackers) in the current internet era.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You are exactly right. It's all about the $ (and ads/trackers) in the current internet era.
It's always been, but things are changing quite swiftly these days. The latest iterations of the main browsers (Chrome/Safari/Edge) are beginning to block tracking cookies by default, reducing the ability to directly target users based on real time browsing activity via the ad networks present across a wide swath of the internet.

Message boards still own that captive audience market, however. You've got a huge user base interested in very specific things. It's old school advertising, but it works.

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
I'm happy with vB.... I'm still on a few forums running phpBB. But this will be cool.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I'm happy with vB.... I'm still on a few forums running phpBB. But this will be cool.
Wew now we're going full on throwback lol!

1 - 20 of 592 Posts