VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

121 - 140 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Does this mean that new image and video file extensions will be supported?
Switching from Vb to XF is pretty straight forward and all of that should move over. Adding/uploading images and files is significantly easier with XF, in many cases it is drag and drop. Where the transfer might be a bit more complicated is the article fines and how much customization was done there.

One of the better features of XF is that you would get a notification that I quoted your post or tagged you @spockcat

·
Registered
45,400 Posts
Switching from Vb to XF is pretty straight forward and all of that should move over. Adding/uploading images and files is significantly easier with XF, in many cases it is drag and drop. Where the transfer might be a bit more complicated is the article fines and how much customization was done there.

One of the better features of XF is that you would get a notification that I quoted your post or tagged you @spockcat
I was thinking about mp4 and gifv directly displayed rather than having a click link.

I assume we can turn the notification feature off. Last thing I want is more notifications just because someone quoted me.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
I think people are projecting their own technical ineptitude on the staff doing this switch. There is too much money involved for them to **** this up. Absolute worst comes to worst they switch back but I seriously don't see that happening. This board is like 25 years old lol. It will be fine
This. While I understand the trepidation with VerticalScope driving the change, VWVortex is a cash cow for them. At one point, VWVortex was one of the largest forums on the internet. If they're going to take their time on a migration, I'd think it would be this one.

the GolfMK(x) forums all use XenForo and I dig it. Definitely different than the current setup, but way more modern and lots of little functionality tweaks that VWV needs. As dumb as it sounds, I really appreciate the "like" function; it cuts down on the number of ":thumbup:" and "awesome!" posts that make browsing tedious at times.

Excited for the switch! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Does this mean that new image and video file extensions will be supported?
I hope so. It's nuts to have to use BB tags for media.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
This updated by the VS team was just provided in the Help Forum

*************************************************************************************

We want to give you an update on the process we use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from us that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it goes live you will see an announcement thread created here in this section. All questions and feedback about the new platform should be posted ONLY in that thread.

• You will see see us reply to the thread introducing ourselves.
  • We will add a new signature and avatar to the admin account.
What should you be doing now before this happens?

• Make sure your email address is up to date in your account.
  • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
  • The link that displays all your attachments on the site will not be available, but all attachments will still be in your posts. It might be worth taking the time to browse through the attachment list to see if you want to add anything from there to your albums for easy access later.
When Will This All Happen?

vwvortex.com is currently scheduled for November 23rd. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. We are simply giving you a heads up.

With dedicated support, during the transition, we will be here with you multiple times a day, answering questions and listening to feedback.

Our only request is that you remain patient with us while we work through the changes.

- Cricket

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,669 Posts
Nov 23rd.

The day the internet died.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
One thing I was reminded of after the last forum migration....are our subscribed threads going to be migrated to the new forum? What about PMs? I know a ton of people got bit by the loss of saved PMs last time.

·
Premium Member
500e, Exige, Mk2 TT
22,342 Posts
I hope so. It's nuts to have to use BB tags for media.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The new format on other forums I use is so much easier. Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V and you're done, from anywhere. No more BB tags. Want to share a YouTube video? Just copy paste the link, that's it, and it will embed in the thread. Same for Twitter and Instagram posts.

Vortex is being improved :beer:

·
Registered
Double wishbone majiggy
1,105 Posts
The new format on other forums I use is so much easier. Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V and you're done, from anywhere. No more BB tags. Want to share a YouTube video? Just copy paste the link, that's it, and it will embed in the thread. Same for Twitter and Instagram posts.

Vortex is being improved :beer:
Theres something oddly charming of having to go through and use various tags, or strings of symbols and letters to create an action, or whatever else.

Either way, I've been counting down the days to the 23rd.

If its anything like what most other websites use, such as Prelude Power or Bimmerfest, I wont mind too much. Not to say I won't miss this format/style though

·
Registered
Double wishbone majiggy
1,105 Posts
:screwy: LOL..uhhh yeah.
Each to their own, bud.

When you've been doing something one way for years, switching can feel foreign.

Same as being used to shifting gears with a manual your whole life, but now every car does it for you. Sure, the automatics are a lot quicker and more technologically advanced, but you've been doing it the old fashioned way up until now, so you're accustomed to it.

·
Premium Member
500e, Exige, Mk2 TT
22,342 Posts
Theres something oddly charming of having to go through and use various tags, or strings of symbols and letters to create an action, or whatever else.

Either way, I've been counting down the days to the 23rd.

If its anything like what most other websites use, such as Prelude Power or Bimmerfest, I wont mind too much. Not to say I won't miss this format/style though
I understand this. But what has not been charming is losing younger members from joining the forums because of the antiquated interface. Eventually the community will age out and die because the influx of new people is small. This is a step toward relevance.

·
Registered
Double wishbone majiggy
1,105 Posts
I understand this. But what has not been charming is losing younger members from joining the forums because of the antiquated interface. Eventually the community will age out and die because the influx of new people is small. This is a step toward relevance.
Hahah, I'm not arguing against the change, I'm just stating the surface level of how I've been using it/feel about it :beer:

·
Registered
45,400 Posts
We can rename this the Harley-Davidson forum then. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
When you've been doing something one way for years, switching can feel foreign.
Hell, some of us have been on this forum for 20 years. Huge swaths of my life have come and gone while this iteration of the Vortex has been a mainstay in my life. It's going to be weird as hell for everything to suddenly look/function differently.

That said - bring it on. My body is ready.

121 - 140 of 510 Posts