VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again I know I sound completely mechanically illeterate but I'm seriously not that bad!!
As I was cleaning my engine today with some half decent weather around here I noticed that My tranny has a hole in it... it looks like a factory hole, nothing broken or anything.. it faces up to the hood and has a green sea around it but you can still stick your finger in it.. is there supposed to be some sort of cap for this or is it normal? What about debris getting in it. I'm only asking because one, i saw it and 2 looked it up in the haynes ( I know i need a bentley) and it said to add fluid by injecting it with a syring in the check up plug... but if thers a hole in the top... i must have confused all of you by now..

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Hole in Tranny??? (8vdubber)

You talking about the hole on the bellhousing, near the engine block? You can see the flywheel (round thing with teeth on the edge) through it? It's used for timing the engine. There should be a green thing threaded in, and a translucent white plug in it. If the plug is missing, stick a piece of duct tape over it for now, and get a new one, either from the dealer or via mailorder shop.
DO NOT add fluids through that. You will ruin your clutch. You add fluid over on the main housing of the tranny, like near where the shift linkages attach. Do yourself a favor, and order the Bentley Service Manual. $35 discounted and VW factory approved. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0837603420
And don't mind Blitz. He's thinking your tranny blew a hole in itself, since VW trannies tend to do that. Sounds like yours is okay for now.

Do a search for "SMS" if you want to find out what he's talking about.

·
Banned
4,913 Posts
Re: Hole in Tranny??? (negativl)

quote:[HR][/HR]You talking about the hole on the bellhousing, near the engine block? You can see the flywheel (round thing with teeth on the edge) through it? It's used for timing the engine. There should be a green thing threaded in, and a translucent white plug in it. If the plug is missing, stick a piece of duct tape over it for now, and get a new one, either from the dealer or via mailorder shop.
DO NOT add fluids through that. You will ruin your clutch. You add fluid over on the main housing of the tranny, like near where the shift linkages attach. Do yourself a favor, and order the Bentley Service Manual. $35 discounted and VW factory approved. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0837603420
And don't mind Blitz. He's thinking your tranny blew a hole in itself, since VW trannies tend to do that. Sounds like yours is okay for now.

Do a search for "SMS" if you want to find out what he's talking about.
[HR][/HR]​
I am thinking precisely the same thing. It sounds like you are looking through the timing hole. It sounds as if the plastic plug tore off...which is quite possible, leaving the green threaded insert there. Go to the dealer and buy a new one. And yes...........DO NOT put anything in the bellhousing...that is a dry area!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.